RIP Sir Terence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Used to work at the old Marquee Club in Soho, we had to clear it out and his restaurant took its place.
I used to work at the shop next door. Your punters were always sitting on our recessed windowsills. Used to to drive the guv'nor bonkers.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You mean a continental quilt?
I wonder if they'll work if we don't get a deal.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I quite liked the Moroccan Brothel aesthetic that Habitat promoted in the early days. Some of the other stuff was pretty awful. I had an Anglepoise light knock-off that had a plastic spigot that plugged into a plastic desk clamp. It very quickly developed a bad case of Brewers Droop.
He was very good at selling a seductive lifestyle.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Credit where credit's due, his stuff (habitat that is) was generally quite well designed, had a certain style, and was quite good for the
money. Something marginally more stylish and OK quite a bit better made would be ten times the price. And unlike Ikea, I never had a claustrophobic panic attack in a Habit - and this is a true comment, not hyperbole from someone who's been a caver for 40 years

I still have a kitchen/dining table I bought in Habitat in Tottenham Court Road, central London, about 40 years ago.
About the same time I bought a stove-top Italian espresso maker(Bialetti) in the same shop - maybe you were the cool dude buying the bigger stuff.

They were pretty hard to find at the time - well before the coffee boom.

Also bought a clever chair there - simple softwood X shaped frame thing you bolted together which a fabric cover stretched over.

Pretty nice - in fact so nice the girlfriend was very impressed to see me sitting in it and came and sat on my lap.

It promptly snapped/collapsed - there was some pretty clear fault in one of the struts which hadn't been spotted.

Habitat Tott Ct Road did replace it though and it moved around with me for years - not sure whatever happened to it - it was perfect for relaxing in reading a book.

RIP Sir Terence - truly a pioneer.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You’re almost right @swee'pea99 his following was nearly religious. I remember him in the sixties when he had a small office in a tiny mews behind Tottenham Court Rd tube station. My friend was a gofer for him and drove a minivan around with just the word CONRAN on the side. I used to call on architectural and design practises as part of my job so used to call there occasionally.
In the sixties his name came up in conversation a lot when talking about furniture and design.. The description ‘game changer’ can’t be applied to many but it’s surely applicable here.

It does seem though that he has taken the secret of reliably stuffing a duvet with him.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
To reinforce the Ikea connection, last time I was in (a few years ago) they had a centrally hinged table very similar to my Habitat one.

The only difference is Habitat cheap and cheerful is better quality than Ikea's version, which looked cheap and nasty.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It does seem though that he has taken the secret of reliably stuffing a duvet with him.
Don't stuff, turn the cover inside out, insert hands to far corners, grab the corners of the duvet, shake it out, shake it out.
I thought I'd given you this little life hack previously so I checked, and I have.
I guess you haven't had a chance to try it out yet, give it a shot, it'll change your life :okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Don't stuff, turn the cover inside out, insert hands to far corners, grab the corners of the duvet, shake it out, shake it out.
I thought I'd given you this little life hack previously so I checked, and I have.
I guess you haven't had a chance to try it out yet, give it a shot, it'll change your life :okay:
I've had three Habitat duvets over the years. The poppers fell off all of them.
Nice fabric though.

this demands a youtube video

Top Bottom