RIP Threads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The Autism spectrum isn't what a lot of people belive it is. It isn't linear for how much a person is affected but more an artists pallet of colours showing how that persons Autism affects them.

We're not all somewhere on the spectrum.

I see it like these tyre performance diagrams.

Screenshot_20220530-160354_Chrome.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Autism spectrum isn't what a lot of people belive it is. It isn't linear for how much a person is affected but more an artists pallet of colours showing how that persons Autism affects them.

We're not all somewhere on the spectrum.

Agreed...I'm somewhere over the rainbow.....

Two of my friends... in separate decades ended up learning a lot about autism; one through her work and the other because their teenage daughter had been officially diagnosed as autistic. Both began seeing autistic traits in all and sundry which leads me to believe that we're all on the spectrum.

Yes, we are, and to be fair seeing mental or psychological problems in everyone is an occupational hazard in my job...

classic33

Leg End Member
Just making it less of a taboo can help I think. I've been helped by posters on other social media recounting their experiences and essentially holding up a mirror so I can look at myself.

I've had so much of my life affected by it that I'm going to own it, I'm going to mention it, I'm going to interpret everything in the context of it since I can't be separated from it.

I realise that it might become a bit tedious for people who quite rightly have no interest in my brain or how it works but you know, we have scroll arrows.
I've been open about the epilepsy for similar reasons. The more it's talked about, the less mysterious it becomes. But only if others are willing to talk about it openly, not in whispered voices as I go past. Or worse, go quiet as I pass them.

I'll never claim to be an expert on the subject, but I do know, better than any doctor, how it affects me on a daily basis.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Terms such as “my father passed away“ or “she recently lost her husband“ are vague and discouraged in some situations.

Whats wrong with ‘my father died’ or ‘her husband died recently’.

Nothing wrong with them, as far as I am concerned, but, if some people wish to use more vague terms (eg passed away, lost, etc), then, IMHO, that is their choice.

A slight variation on the theme, I believe it is now “the norm”, for the medical profession to “tell it like it is” to the patient. Now, personally, I have no desire to know, if other people feel differently, that is their choice. Accordingly, I tell my GP, if one of your various tests on me is bad news, then, just keep it to yourself.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've been open about the epilepsy for similar reasons. The more it's talked about, the less mysterious it becomes. But only if others are willing to talk about it openly, not in whispered voices as I go past. Or worse, go quiet as I pass them.

I'll never claim to be an expert on the subject, but I do know, better than any doctor, how it affects me on a daily basis.

Your wise words on epilepsy made a big difference to me a few months ago; thank you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A slight variation on the theme, I believe it is now “the norm”, for the medical profession to “tell it like it is” to the patient.

One of the doctors that dealt with me after I suffered my first pulmonary embolism took that to extremes. He didn't give me a range of possible outcomes with percentages. It was pretty much worst case scenario... "You could die horribly at any moment and even if you don't, it is unlikely that you will make a full recovery"!

Strictly speaking that is true, but it left me in despair for months, barely able to summon the will to struggle on. If he had told me that the actual figure for me was just over a 1/3 chance of dying that would have left me some hope.

As for the degree of recovery of the survivors... I have not made a full recovery, but I reckon I have got back to somewhere round 75% of where I was before I got ill. It is a bit disappointing but it isn't the end of the world. I would have liked to have been told that I had a reasonable chance of this result.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
not sure what the logic is here.. if there is any.

The “logic” is, I want MY illness dealt with MY way, not the way in which someone else decides it should handled, and, I am happy and willing to accord others the same right.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
One of the doctors that dealt with me after I suffered my first pulmonary embolism took that to extremes. He didn't give me a range of possible outcomes with percentages. It was pretty much worst case scenario... "You could die horribly at any moment and even if you don't, it is unlikely that you will make a full recovery"!

Strictly speaking that is true, but it left me in despair for months, barely able to summon the will to struggle on. If he had told me that the actual figure for me was just over a 1/3 chance of dying that would have left me some hope.

As for the degree of recovery of the survivors... I have not made a full recovery, but I reckon I have got back to somewhere round 75% of where I was before I got ill. It is a bit disappointing but it isn't the end of the world. I would have liked to have been told that I had a reasonable chance of this result.

That is completely fair, I have no desire to impose my choice on anyone else.

Top Bottom