RLJ-ing: A Minority Pastime?

What proprotion of cyclists do you see RLJ'ing?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
@Martin235 - Let's put this to bed. For one night and one night only, let's switch. This evening. I'll stop at every single red light, if you promise to proceed on red when it's intelligent to do so.

There is no point, it's just for sh1ts n giggles.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I've seen police watch people go through red lights on many occasions and they've barely blinked, people RLJ mainly because they know nothing will be done about it.

All those thousands of people rioting last year thought they could get away with stealing stuff because they thought they were protected by a crowd of anonymity in a situation of anarchy. It does concern me that people need the law to tell them how to behave.

martint235

Dog on a bike
@Martin235 - Let's put this to bed. For one night and one night only, let's switch. This evening. I'll stop at every single red light, if you promise to proceed on red when it's intelligent to do so.

Unfortunately not on my bike today. Tomorrow I'm on a group ride. Strangely enough given that Rljing is ok, the ride leader asks, and expects, us to stop at red lights. This despite the fact it'll be the middle of the night. Can't think why.

J.Primus

I will do both. And in both cases, give me lip and I hope you're very quick (particularly as I've not forgotten you called me thick)

Now I'm pretty sure there's a law around here somewhere that's against me hitting people that call me thick however it wouldn't cost me anything to disobey it. It wouldn't put me in a moral predicament of any kind and it certainly wouldn't inconvenience me. :thumbsup:

InternetToughGuy.jpg

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Joking aside it would be interesting to see the difference in actual time between the same journey ridden where you RLJ and another time when you stop at every red.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I would think it's minimal serious. It's traffic that slows me down not red lights

Well, I think I said before, my partner used to RLJ all the time and now doesn't. He said he gets to work at the same time and less stressed.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Unfortunately not on my bike today. Tomorrow I'm on a group ride. Strangely enough given that Rljing is ok, the ride leader asks, and expects, us to stop at red lights. This despite the fact it'll be the middle of the night. Can't think why.

I rode the Rourkie Cat & Fiddle a few weeks back. At the start;

"Please please please do not jump any red lights. We get complaints if you do and that jeoparises the future of the ride"

I obeyed. I was then working within the confines of a different dynamic. My behaviour affected others directly.

I'm really not an A.hole. I am bored though.

Off home. Crimes await.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I note you say 'to' not 'through'. I think I once counted every signal-controlled junction between Old St roundabout and Oxford Circus, and it averaged about one every 120 metres. What average moving speed and what top speed would you have to ride between those lights to get a 16mph average including stops? Certainly faster than I'd be happier riding in 12mph traffic
Because I'm feeling particularly bored. Here's Old St to Oxford Circus with (I think, difficult to tell on some junctions) 4 lights.

campbellab

So, in your opinion common sense = going through red lights?

Pedestrians have no legal obligation to cross on green at junctions by the way.

We could also say silly things like;

"A car or ten waiting at a needless red causes traffic to wait marginally longer as they cannot pull away instantly, thus increasing emissions, throttling traffic flow, increasing anger towards slow to start car drivers, and so on....."

My point is aimed squarely at the social aspect, and sometimes perhaps we have to concede that, although we might actually be right, in societal terms we need to compromise.

I'm no angel by the way and have jumped red lights too. Perhaps I need to stop doing it.

I was trying to support your argument that we shouldn't do it to appease others :smile:

400bhp

Guru
I rode the Rourkie Cat & Fiddle a few weeks back. At the start;

"Please please please do not jump any red lights. We get complaints if you do and that jeoparises the future of the ride"

I obeyed. I was then working within the confines of a different dynamic. My behaviour affected others directly.

I'm really not an A.hole. I am bored though.

Off home. Crimes await.

There you go.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom