RLJ-ing: A Minority Pastime?

What proprotion of cyclists do you see RLJ'ing?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I don't come across too many rljs as I'd say over 90% of cyclists I see ride on the pavements. Of the ones that do ride on the road maybe2 or 3 out of 10 jump reds. All the more satisfying when I over take them after obeying the lights myself.

That said, I do regularly jump one red light in Donny tc. At 6am there's no traffic, although I do always slow and make absolutely sure.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Another one on ignore - had enough of the drivel.
Have to find out who got ignored, me or RL?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Even in London I would have to say it was less than 50/50. pretty much because rarely anyone jumps the lights at the major junctions, which is what i'm stuck at more often than the small pelican crossings.

400bhp

Guru
Pure RLJ in and around Manc (which I mean going through red and not those that traffic light creep) I'd say about 2 to 3 in 10.

As mentioned, there's quite a lot who do the traffic light creep - start to make their way through the junction a few seconds before the lights change fully.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would say that the majority stop, though I think it is slightly worse the nearer you get to peak commuting times though still only the minority RLJ. But I don't think motorists notice those of us who stop, just the few that jump the lights.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'd guess I see about 40% of RLJers on my London wanderings. I'd love to know whether seeing one person stop has an effect on the riders behind - I'm sure it does have a small effect but without filming a junction over a long period I can't know how big that effect is.

No saint, me. I confess to sometimes jumping a just red if I'm going quickly. Having had one perfectly decent car written off at a red light and the rear door of an estate destroyed by an uninsured druggie in a Golf also at a red light, there's no way I'm going to brake heavily if I'm not sure what's happening behind.

Bengarbage

majority in my quietish town (medway kent) purely seem that they can't be bothered to unclip, therefore dawdle around the box junction or whatever till it's clear. we are lucky in that our council provides asl's on busy routes however they still do it. No offence but it's usually middle aged high vis, erm new to cycling (can tell by the ultra clean kit) boardman cycle to work jobbies that do it...

potsy

Rambler
I was going to do a scientific study on the commute last night, unfortunately I only saw 1 other cyclist and there were no traffic lights in the vicinity, maybe I'll have better luck going home at 6am? :scratch:

Dan B

Disengaged member
And having a look at the report, the junctions where the transgressors were counted are some of the most busiest junctions in London where only the more foolhardy would RLJ.
That sounds almost like you're suggesting the majority of potential rljs look at the traffic as they approach the junction and make the decision to stop or go based on (perceived) risk. It's certainly an interesting explanation, but does go against the received wisdom that they are all dangerous nutters who plunge headlong into oncoming traffic without a care and are going to get themselves killed tout suite

Top Bottom