RLJ-ing: A Minority Pastime?

What proprotion of cyclists do you see RLJ'ing?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I'd guess I see about 40% of RLJers on my London wanderings. I'd love to know whether seeing one person stop has an effect on the riders behind - I'm sure it does have a small effect but without filming a junction over a long period I can't know how big that effect is.

Hi

From what I've seen, it's a very marginal effect, if any. The set of lights outside Kennington Tube are on the main route through South London up to the City and I'd say maybe 60% stop at the lights - there seems to be the ones who've stopped (and not raced to beat the light) and then the ones who whizz by them on a blatant red, they don't seem to be fazed weaving through the stationary cyclists...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

It's definitely got a lot more dangerous to cycle around London over the past 10-15 years. Circa 1997, I used to cycle 10 miles (Wimbledon to Whitehall) every day for about a year and I remember one close call with a taxi.

I started cycling again to work and back in Feb this year and my commute is about 4 miles, I encounter appalling driving from motorists, inconsiderate cyclists and mental peds every time I get on the bike.

Obviously, this is down to the massive increase in people using the roads over the last few years but I always think, if we just acted decently and followed the rules, we'd all get where we want to go at exactly the same time AND in one piece AND in a much better mood. Imagine that!! ^_^

martint235

Dog on a bike
This is definitely just perception but it seems to go in cycles (:tongue:). I found around 2005 - 2007 that motorists became better behaved then it went downhill a bit. Now it seems to be improving again. As I say it's just perception.

I'd add that the improvement was probably awareness that there were more cyclists then came the resentment that we got places quicker and tended to be in the way more and now I think we're getting acceptance that drivers just have to get along with us.

Recycle

Über Member
I notice fewer RLJ'ers on HW7 than on other routes I use. HW7 carries a lot of cyclists and I wonder if peer pressure is involved?i.e., if a few cyclists stop at the lights then others are less likely to jump the lights because they feel they are being judged.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I notice fewer RLJ'ers on HW7 than on other routes I use. HW7 carries a lot of cyclists and I wonder if peer pressure is involved?i.e., if a few cyclists stop at the lights then others are less likely to jump the lights because they feel they are being judged.

HW7 was the section outside Kennington Tube I was referring to earlier. I only cross that road by foot with my bike and that one small section is rife with RLJ'ers. This is usually about 7.30am-ish.

Twilkes

Guru
I used to go through pedestrian lights that I could see were safe to go through, until I turned left onto Princes Street in Edinburgh once and almost went over an old lady. After that I never did it.

I also used to use pedestrian crossings to get across junctions that were on red, but half the time it wasn't worth the effort so now just sit on the reds.

So in summary, I now cycle like my dad.

Edinburgh cyclists seem pretty good, although I'm usually the only cyclist on any particular set of lights so rarely see anyone RL-anything.

veloevol

Evo Lucas
If I'm doing a commute with lots of commuting cyclists I find it's a small percentage that RLJ but a half hour before or a half hour after then I'd say more than 50% are at it.

Edit* This is in London of course

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have voted 50/50. A heck of a lot of London cyclists RLJ.
A heck of a lot of London drivers RLJ. I've seen it a lot more when I've been down in that London than I do out here in the provinces.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
This is definitely just perception but it seems to go in cycles (:tongue:). I found around 2005 - 2007 that motorists became better behaved then it went downhill a bit. Now it seems to be improving again. As I say it's just perception.

I'd add that the improvement was probably awareness that there were more cyclists then came the resentment that we got places quicker and tended to be in the way more and now I think we're getting acceptance that drivers just have to get along with us.

Don't forget that many, probably most, of the additional cyclists are also car drivers. I'm definitely a better behaved and more considerate motorist since getting back on the bike. I doubt I'm alone.

Re the original question I can only speak for my commute up and down the A23 where I estimate less than one in five RLJ at traffic lights but noticeably worse, perhaps fifty percent, on pedestrian crossings.

nigelnorris

Hi
I've seen a number of discussion on RLJ-ing and it seems that here, it's generally frowned on which to me would indicate it's something only the idiotic minority engage in.
On my commute I'd say most of us do, so it seems to me that it's generally accepted, which would by your logic imply that it's only the idiot minority that complain about it.

In heavy traffic, surrounded by heavy vehicles themselves shooting the lights, it's often by far the safest way to get about, deal with it.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
On my commute I'd say most of us do, so it seems to me that it's generally accepted, which would by your logic imply that it's only the idiot minority that complain about it.

In heavy traffic, surrounded by heavy vehicles themselves shooting the lights, it's often by far the safest way to get about, deal with it.

It isn't.

A heck of a lot of London drivers RLJ. I've seen it a lot more when I've been down in that London than I do out here in the provinces.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Crankarm

Guru
Any cyclist who RLJs across my path risks being taken out as I will not stop. Candidates for Darwin Awards IMHO. Red lights mean STOP for everyone's safety - those who are required to stop and those who are proceeding on green. Period. And if cyclists RLJ a pedestrian crossing and I am crossing carrying a brolly it will go straight through their wheels.

Top Bottom