RLJ-ing: A Minority Pastime?

What proprotion of cyclists do you see RLJ'ing?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

Hi

I've seen a number of discussion on RLJ-ing and it seems that here, it's generally frowned on which to me would indicate it's something only the idiotic minority engage in.

However, cycling to and from work in London, my perception is that it's a decent proportion of cyclists that do it, say 4 out of every 10 cyclists I see. Maybe it's my particular route or maybe it's a complete misperception on my part.

I'd include the people who not only jump the light as they just missed the amber and those that just happily sail through a blatant red but also those who stop and wait at red but go early before it's gone green again.

So, I'm curious as to what other people's perceptions of this are...

ohnovino

Large Member
I haven't seen a cyclist RLJ for months; it really isn't an issue round here. I think that's because all our rubbish cyclists stick to the pavement.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

My perception is that a few bad apples spoil it for everyone. The red light jumper is easily spotted and people rember them, where as people quickly forget the lines of cyclist all stopped waiting for the lights.

I hope that's the reality of it...

One especially notable incident I saw a few weeks ago was a pelican crossing next to the imperial war museum, the light turned red and was clearly red when 4 cyclists zipped through it round a mother pushing a pram, I think there was 1 cyclist who actually stopped.

I think that's quite an extreme example though.

D

Deleted member 26715

Isn't this just another car driver jealousy issue, just like closing the gaps to stop filtering

Alan...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Isn't this just another car driver jealousy issue, just like closing the gaps to stop filtering

Alan...

Do most cyclists prefer to be in cars? I'd hate to drive in London, despite everything I feel much better off on my little bike :becool:

It does seem odd to RLJ though because more often then not, I've caught up to these people at the next set of lights they've been unable to RLJ - so, it can't be about getting somewhere quicker...

RedRider

Pulling through
In London my perception is 'fewer'. Ten years ago the proportion seemed more. I've voted 'few' as I'd say it's less than half.

Incidentally, depending on the route I often see as many or more cars jump reds than bikes on my current short hop of a commute.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
50/50 for me in town too but getting noticeably better as the volume of summer riders begin to stay at home. However, it depends on what you may class as RLJ. Many riders "push off" early in anticipation of an orange that doesn't appear...this happens at almost every set of lights I find and I consider it just as dangerous as a full fly by.

Its also just plain stupid, why stop, de-gear, wait and then proceed to RLJ. (only to be caught and scalped by me anyway:whistle:)

On this basis, its more like 80% as many folk (perhaps the offender themselves) may not consider this an RLJ because the they have actually stopped...Bonkers1

D

Deleted member 26715

Do most cyclists prefer to be in cars? I'd hate to drive in London, despite everything I feel much better off on my little bike :becool:

It does seem odd to RLJ though because more often then not, I've caught up to these people at the next set of lights they've been unable to RLJ - so, it can't be about getting somewhere quicker...

Maybe that came out wrong I meant jealousy on the car drivers behalf lol

Alan...

I never RLJ but I am guilty of of SSJ (stop sign jumping)

We have a rural 4 way stop with very little traffic and you can see for half a mile in each direction. If the is another vehicle is approaching I always stop. If I am on my own I slow down and diligently watch, but i do roll through it. Most of the car drivers do the exact same thing.

Maz

Guru
Most cyclists I see (not that I see many) do tend to stop for red lights.
RLJ'ing seems to be more of a south/Laarnden, cor blimey stone the crows, jellied eels, you're 'avin a laarf aintcha? type of passtime.

Top Bottom