RLJ, why do I bother...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
Well no they don't, see above.

All of the above confirms my opinion. What are you refering to?

Eh, I never said that I RLJ .

Then I do not think that you are an Rsole.

Road Fiddler

Other road users dislike cyclists for a number of reasons, riding in primary and sometimes secondary position, filtering, not using cycle facility's or for just getting in there way. These things are just down to the lack of knowledge of law and safety issues regarding cycling on the part of the other road users but RLJing, cycling on pavements and ignoring one way systems and the like, is total disregard to the law and this gives everyone else ammunition to dislike cyclists and makes us fair game.

Tetedelacourse

dondare said:
All of the above confirms my opinion. What are you refering to?

Your statement that "motorists treat all of us as outlaws because..."

I have had no bad experiences on or off my bike either as a result of RLJing or indeed of being treated as an outlaw! This is making me smile now though!

Road Fiddler

Tetedelacourse said:
Your statement that "motorists treat all of us as outlaws because..."

I have had no bad experiences on or off my bike either as a result of RLJing or indeed of being treated as an outlaw! This is making me smile now though!

It might be the case you have had no bad experiences but that does not mean it has effected other road users attitude to cyclists.

And, i take it by your statement you are admitting you are a RLJ.

Tetedelacourse

Road Fiddler said:
It might be the case you have had no bad experiences but that does not mean it has effected other road users attitude to cyclists.

And, i take it by your statement you are admitting you are a RLJ.

no, i meant as a result of others RLJing.

I never claimed that my experiences have effected others' attitudes. YOU claimed that WE ALL have suffered. Well that's wrong because not ALL of us have.

Road Fiddler

Tetedelacourse said:
YOU claimed that WE ALL have suffered.

Did i make that claim? We all do suffer on occasions from the lack of respect from some other road users, this could be for a number of reasons not just because some of us wish to break the law but how i have read most of the posts on this thread and others as well as talking to none cyclists is that RLJ among other things does effect peoples opinion of cyclists.

Tetedelacourse

dondare said:
motorists who treat all of us as outlaws because they see so many cyclists breaking the law.

you did.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
Fair enough Arch, sounds reasonable. The parts I highlighted above are the parts I have absolutely no experience of. I simply haven't either experienced that attitude, or seen or sensed it from fellow road users up here in Scotland. I think if I felt I was being tarred with the same brush as someone who was behaving dangerously or irresponsibly then I would certainly be annoyed. But personally, I haven't felt that way...yet.

Well, if you have never had the experience of someone moaning about cyclists jumping red lights, that's nice for you. Maybe you don't often talk to non-cyclists about being cycling? I've often heard it - from complete strangers, and from family and family friends. As have many people here. In fact, find any online newspaper story involving a cyclist, and you'll probably find the same sort of comments posted below it eventually...

Often, I admit, it might be completely unthinking - like the folk who go on about Polish people coming over here and living on our welfare. They may never have actually met a Polish person, but they've heard of someone who knew someone who knew a Polish guy on benefit, and they've picked it up and it doesn't take much to reinforce the idea. It's easier to reinforce a stereotype than to break it, I think. So maybe it is a waste of time to try and change the behaviour of rljers because the moaners won't care anyway.

However, that doesn't stop me resenting people who disregard the law for their own convenience, and I retain my right to vent that resentment as I wish.

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:
Well, if you have never had the experience of someone moaning about cyclists jumping red lights, that's nice for you. Maybe you don't often talk to non-cyclists about being cycling? I've often heard it - from complete strangers, and from family and family friends. As have many people here. In fact, find any online newspaper story involving a cyclist, and you'll probably find the same sort of comments posted below it eventually...

Often, I admit, it might be completely unthinking - like the folk who go on about Polish people coming over here and living on our welfare. They may never have actually met a Polish person, but they've heard of someone who knew someone who knew a Polish guy on benefit, and they've picked it up and it doesn't take much to reinforce the idea. It's easier to reinforce a stereotype than to break it, I think. So maybe it is a waste of time to try and change the behaviour of rljers because the moaners won't care anyway.

However, that doesn't stop me resenting people who disregard the law for their own convenience, and I retain my right to vent that resentment as I wish.

Again, fair enough.

Tetedelacourse said:
Again, fair enough.

No, no no! You aren't supposed to agree with the people who your debating with. Your supposed to back up your opinion with complete fabrications!

Haven't you learned anything from Bonj........:biggrin:xx(

Arch

Married to Night Train
If everyone was like TDLC, there'd be no long threads. His willingness to see my side leads in turn to me trying to see his, and we'll end up in a nice balanced equilibrium...:biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
No, no no! You aren't supposed to agree with the people who your debating with. Your supposed to back up your opinion with complete fabrications!

Haven't you learned anything from Bonj........xx(:biggrin:

lol. I can confirm I haven't learned anything from him.:B)

I meant fair enough Arch you're entitled to your opinions, not fair enough I will now get annoyed at RLJers and realise the level of animosity directed at me from motorists because other cyclists RLJ.

Actually, thinking about it, my old man has often come out with the sort of guff your taxi driver came out with. He is usually ill-informed and just likes to try and provoke people into entertaining him with arguments. I've never really considered it to be an attack on the way I cycle or behave. I also have a colleague who constantly complains about "kamikaze" cyclists on her route home. I guess my mind just disassociates me from these folk so as to preserve tranquil equilibrium in Teteworld.:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
I meant fair enough Arch you're entitled to your opinions, not fair enough I will now get annoyed at RLJers and realise the level of animosity directed at me from motorists because other cyclists RLJ.

Yeah, yeah, I know. But 'fair enough' is still nicer than some of the responces you get here sometimes...:biggrin:

Top Bottom