RLJ, why do I bother...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:
Yeah, yeah, I know. But 'fair enough' is still nicer than some of the responces you get here sometimes...:laugh:

Never mind all this tosh about RLJs. This thread has now served its purpose - two adjacent posts containing the word "EQUILIBRIUM". Honest I didn't see your post before I posted mine.

I expect the planets will now align and peace will once again be restored to the galaxy. Satisfying work, particularly for a Friday. And calls for a 38 smiley salute:

:smile::biggrin:;):blush::sad::angry::ohmy::thumbsup::tongue:xx(:tongue::evil::laugh::wacko::angry::ohmy::laugh:xx(:cry::blush::B):excl::?::blush::biggrin::huh::biggrin::8::o):B):blush::tired::thumbsdown::evil::shy::ohmy::eek::B)

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

To make this RLJing thread genuine, I have the following to say-

Ignore the lights and watch the traffic. Every single cycle-related accident at a road junction is the fault of the cyclist because he/she did not RLJ.

There you go...

Its like millions of people cried out in fear...

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Road Fiddler said:
This sounds like the sort of thing said by someone who is not taking responsibility for there actions. Ok you my be an adult of sound mind and you are probably capable of judging the conditions and probable dangers by acting in a given way, for instance RLJ.

But, what happens when you are approaching a junction which you pass everyday, you know the light sequence and you plow through without regard and there is someone, possibly a preteen riding to school, who is following you and decides to follow you through just because if its safe for you so it must be safe for him and he is taken out. Would you take responsibility for your actions then?

The way it affects other cyclists is by encouraging them to take silly risks themselves and the younger the cyclist the less developed there judgement, road sense and there self preservation instinct. You are putting per-pressure on them to follow how ever unintentional it is.
Totally agree RF, as I've said before on here, if I go to a pelican crossing and the road is clear but there's a little kid waiting then I wait for the green man too, setting a bad example isn't right (ok, on me way home at night I'll just walk out if the road is clear).

atbman

Veteran
Agree strongly with Arch. Have been on both sides of the fence, first as a campaigner and then as a council cycling officer.

Every time a new councillor came to the cycling liason c'tee, RLJing was almost always the first thing raised by them. when dealing with complaints from the public, usually about un-cycling related problems, guess what came up more often than not.

Agreed that there is an enormous amount of ignorance on the part of many drivers about the law relating to cycling, and a fiar bit of childishness, but if RLJers think that image doesn't count for anything in this brand obsessed age, think again - marketers would not agree.

I've also dealt with it on interviews on local radio and it interfered with the possibility of concentrating on the behaviour which causes the most deaths and injuries.

sorry, but RLJing is wrong in law and wrong in itself.

bonj2

it's not your job to go around telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing. he didn't cause you any harm, so it's wrong to pick a conflict where no conflict is necessary.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

bonj said:
it's not your job to go around telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing. he didn't cause you any harm, so it's wrong to pick a conflict where no conflict is necessary.

He picked the conflict by breaking the law and perpetuating the bad image we get as cyclists. All I did was let him know that responsible cyclists think he's a cretin. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Cab said:
He picked the conflict by breaking the law and perpetuating the bad image we get as cyclists. All I did was let him know that responsible cyclists think he's a cretin. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

I agree. If we feel the need to be responsible citizens, then we should speak our mind. Mind you, with some of the pavement riders I see around Leith I keep my mouth firmly shut rather than find it wired shut when I wake up in hospital ;)

goo_mason said:
I agree. If we feel the need to be responsible citizens, then we should speak our mind. Mind you, with some of the pavement riders I see around Leith I keep my mouth firmly shut rather than find it wired shut when I wake up in hospital ;)

Ya big Jessie! :sad::smile:

goo_mason said:
It's the greater-burberried 'Nedyabas Yerclaimed' species rather than the garishley-plumed 'Daaaahling mwah-mwah' genus that I meant ;)

I draw the line when I see they have Buckfast tattoo's on both arms :sad:

Top Bottom