Road bike cycle spokes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.
My chain came off ,inboard and broke 6 spokes (I believe ) stainless.
Has any reader experience of the price of fitting new spokes ? (L.B.S)
Also truing the rim ?
The wheel is not a very good quality ,so if expensivee I might buy a Shimano wheel set (the cheapest )
Thank you for any replies.

Regards

Doug.

vickster

Legendary Member
My LBS charges £20 to true or £25 + cost of spokes if new ones needed (London pricing). No idea how much it might cost in SW France though!

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I purchased a couple the other day from my LBS for £1.10 each. Once fitted, truing the wheel, for me, was simply a case of spinning slowly in the frame with the tyre off and noting where it moved closer to the brake blocks then tightening the nipples for the spokes that pull the rim away from the blocks. £20 saved on labour.

Sharky

Guru
I would balance time, cost and convenience of repairing vs buying a new replacement wheel. If repair cost is approaching a third to half the cost of a new wheel, I think I would go for a new wheel. Also depends if you have another bike to ride whilst the current one is out of action.

I would still repair the old wheel at my leisure and keep it as an emergency wheel for those days when you are about to go for a ride and realise you had a slow and went flat overnight.

Good luck

weareHKR

Depends on how confident you are at doing simple repairs, spokes are as cheap as chip & simple to replace tbh, I find wheel truing quite therapeutic, have a go at it yourself!

figbat

Slippery scientist
If you need it quick and guaranteed right - LBS. If you have time and want to learn a new skill, have at it yourself. I built a couple of wheels during Lockdown 1.0 - first go at it, I quite enjoyed it and as a bonus I got a couple of largely circular, mostly true wheels out of it. However this was a bike I didn't need to ride any time soon, so I took my time researching, getting the parts and eventually getting around to it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
At the risk of stating the obvious make sure you have fixed the original problem before you get back on the bike!

Check the limit screws on the rear derailleur.

Top Bottom