Road bike cyclists, why don't you nod back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
In the 80's, I used to work for a bank in the city. Every morning I used to get in the lifts to my floor and depending on who was in the lift with me, I would say hello, grunt or nod etc. but there was a Canadian I used to meet on some mornings and he would always outdo me and return the greeting with a very cheerful "have a nice day".

Well one year I made a resolution to get in first, so first day back in January, I greeted him with a "have a nice day", only to be out done again with the returned "Have a nice year"!

cd365

Guru
WTF is a mounting bike?
Something you put on a wall?

Personally, being a road bike cyclist I nod and wave at every cyclist. Most road bikers nod back, most of the other rif-raff cyclists nod back as well. People on a mounting bike never have :tongue:

There's been a surge of new riders over the last couple of years. They haven't got a clue about (pretty much anything) but mostly etiquette. I expect other cyclists to be manner less arse pieces lately, it's a nice surprise if they aren't. Such is life.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I was at the lights with a roadie in Regent's Park a few weeks ago. He had a pair of wheels that I'd been looking at when looking for a pair for my bike. Conversation went like this
me - Hey, how do you find your A23 rims?
him - (looking straight ahead, eyes do not deviate) ............ they're ok. Expensive.
me - (lights change and he rides off) Nice chatting with you
I was on my commuter with panniers, not my nice bike, and he was on something pretty fancy, a Pearson or something like that. I have found that there is a proportion of roadies in Regent's Park that are massive bell-ends

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I may have mentioned this on another one of these threads: Some friends of mine bought one of those gurt campervan/mobile home thingies. Once on the road they were surprised to find that they were being waved to by complete strangers, who happened to be driving similar big campervans.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I have found that there is a proportion of roadies people in Regent's Park everywhere that are massive bell-ends

FTFY.

Personally I don't give a tinkers if people wave, smile, grunt or ignore me. I tend to nod at the people I pass every morning but that's as far as I go.

snorri

Legendary Member
I was at the lights with a roadie in Regent's Park a few weeks ago. He had a pair of wheels that I'd been looking at when looking for a pair for my bike. Conversation went like this
me - Hey, how do you find your A23 rims?
him - (looking straight ahead, eyes do not deviate) ............ they're ok. Expensive.
me - (lights change and he rides off) Nice chatting with you
I was on my commuter with panniers, not my nice bike, and he was on something pretty fancy, a Pearson or something like that. I have found that there is a proportion of roadies in Regent's Park that are massive bell-ends
I've had similar rejections from passengers on London underground, maybe it's a London thing?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've had similar rejections from passengers on London underground, maybe it's a London thing?
If you told me you liked my rim in the underground id probably deck you :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We went to Westray, in the Orkneys, a few years back. Everyone we saw, driving or walking, waved a cheery hello at everyone else. I know it is a small community but it was such a friendly place I hope we go back again soon.

It's the same on South Uist, all drivers acknowledge each other as they pass. You can tell the newbies as they wave with a full hand; the longer you've been there the more subtle the acknowledgement becomes until it's only the index finger that unfurls momentarily from the steering wheel (that's proper locals). Even the police do it.

GC

pauldavid

Veteran
If you drive a Ford, do you get upset if every other Ford driver fails to acknowledge you?

If he was driving a Ford he wouldnt notice other Ford drivers, he'd be too busy concentrating on listening to the rattling sound and trying to work out which component was making it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's the same on South Uist, all drivers acknowledge each other as they pass. You can tell the newbies as they wave with a full hand; the longer you've been there the more subtle the acknowledgement becomes until it's only the index finger that unfurls momentarily from the steering wheel (that's proper locals). Even the police do it.

GC
Mid-wales, the thumb of the right hand, always between 12 and 2 on the wheel is extended, and then retracted, almost faster than the eye can see. Incomers take the whole hand off.

Top Bottom