Road bike envy !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
Destroys worlds in the most wonderful way.

i'm staying away from it - i will lose all road sense and end up a squishy mess because i was racing for time instead of looking after myself!

Can I go against conventional wisdom?

You'll start getting more punctures, because those whisker-thin tyres are actually manufactured from regurgitated rice paper painted black and they pop at a passing glance. Every rough section of road has you anxiously looking betwixt your legs to spot unexpected deflations (of the tyre too).
All I can say is the tyres wern't up to much, I got my Viking in 2008, I rode (or rather pushed in some cases) my way to London the day (well four days) I got it, that was Dewsbury, first proper day I got a puncture, well I thought it was (well I suppose technically it was) what happen is i hit a pot hole that hard it pushed the rubber of the tube into the holes for the spokes. I didn't do much when I got back just the odd needed to do ride (because I dont have money for trains or buses), until this June, I have done over 1500 miles since then on the original tyres (though they need replacing ones worn, and the others got a scuff in the side wall) and I dont recall another puncture due to road conditions, the tyres a Kenda doesn't say which type otherwise I would order some new ones. The only puncture I recall this year was when I had a broken spoke the second ride I had this year, I stripped the tyre off took out the offending spoke, when I put the tube back it had split where the valve joins the tube, so again not really a puncture as such.
So all in all I reckon the tyres must have done some 2500 miles plus without a real problem, and I ended up on a really bad gravel road the other day, and they have been over all sorts of glass metal ect..

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The only thing I found when I switched to slicks was a faster way for myself and my bike to part company at speed when cornering!
I get the impression theres a lot of unquantifiable upgrades that are only worth it if you want extra seconds in a race, but for fitness riding etc dont give much benefit. I went from 45mm knobblies to 38mm slicker tyres and while they feel smoother on tarmac, I think the main noticable speed difference is like you say... is that at which the rear wheel skids out, locks up etc and is also very poor offroad. Similarly, people say front suspension is very heavy despite low end sus. forks only weighing about 2kg, saving just 1.5kg at the expense of comfort many leisure/towpath riders would IMHO appreciate. I took my old gaspipe special out last night (26*2.00 knobblies, rigid forks) and I was a little depressed that I think its actually faster than my giant hybrid, simply because it's a much more aerodynamic riding position (small frame, low handlebars).

That said, with the benefits of a road bikes, near 2 dimensional slick tyres, rigid forks, SPDs, drop bars, faster geometry etc Ill be expecting my first road bike to be like riding an ACME rocket :smile:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
these bikes are so lightweight and flimsy that they can only really be used on tarmac like a good woman - silky smooth and freshly laid preferably. Forget about darting along the odd cycle trail. Many NCN routes involve muddy sections which effectively debar road bikes. .

I cycled across Ilkley Moor on my Giant Defy, might not do it again in a hurry though...

HovR

Über Member
But, nobody warns you about how the knife edge saddle nearly cuts you in two when you go over a pothole. The pain is excruciating so over time, you learn to stand on the pedals at the slightest bump. But that's the other thing - these bikes are so lightweight and flimsy that they can only really be used on tarmac like a good woman - silky smooth and freshly laid preferably. Forget about darting along the odd cycle trail. Many NCN routes involve muddy sections which effectively debar road bikes. [...]

You'll start getting more punctures, because those whisker-thin tyres are actually manufactured from regurgitated rice paper painted black and they pop at a passing glance. Every rough section of road has you anxiously looking betwixt your legs to spot unexpected deflations (of the tyre too).

Heh, you should have seen my last road ride. The route involved coarse gravel trails, cattle grids, and even cycle paths before getting on to the country roads.

Luckily I was on my steel road bike, so whilst all the carbon road bikes I was with disintegrated into exactly 47.34 pieces (as exploding rubber flew everywhere, of course) I only suffered snapped forks and taco'd wheels. :rolleyes:

Bryan_Cymru

Regular
Reading those comments has swayed me even further into getting a road bike just after xmas, but the brakes in the wet could be the decider.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
In 3 months I've went from a 300 triban 3 to a 750 Scott s50 to a 2.1k carbon fibre focus lol. I must admit I am riding a lot quicker on the focus My advice would be buy the very best you can afford

baldycyclist

Über Member
I have a very nice roadie..circa £2500 when new.....but the funny thing is that I am revamping an old £200 halfords MTB to be my commuter. Will fit some slicks and get rid of the suspension but fit some mudguards and heavier lights. Who cares if you fly up hills in the morning?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Reading those comments has swayed me even further into getting a road bike just after xmas, but the brakes in the wet could be the decider.

Road brakes in the wet are fine, you just need to adjust your riding style a little and if the stock brake blocks aren't up to much, you can replace the brake blocks.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Well........it basically comes down to either head or heart, one is telling me to get my head down with this hybrid with the nice safe disc brakes ha ha then go get a roadie Feb/March time next year & the other is screaming at me to go out & splash the cash on a skinny wheel'd job right now !
One thing is for sure, i'm definitely getting one sooner or later :tongue:

Top Bottom