Road bike envy !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had an old BSO from 09 until last August. It was free when I joined a gym (that's my excuse for such a rubbish bike and I am sticking to it). That old Apollo XC26 did me quite well until last summer when I started cycling more than just a pop to the shops or a bit of geocaching on the towpaths en route to sunday lunch at the pup and then geocaching my way home again. Something happened and I really started to enjoy cycling again and started upping my distances from 5 or 6 miles to 20 miles every sunday and 5 - 10 miles 4 times during the week.
That's when I decided that a road bike might well be the way to go. I got a Giant Defy 2 and have never looked back. Sure I get overtaken by thin young chaps on very nice bikes but I am a tad overweight and 48. I used to be thin and fit and I am gradually working on that again. I did find it twitchy and narrow when I first got it. Now I find it responsive, rather than twitchy :smile:
I did find that with the Defy that I can cycle for the same amount of time as I did on the BSO, go further and have more fun. Hills are less worrying, especially since going clipless last month too, I just pop into the city to see friends (8.5 miles each way) for the fun of it & I am just about to pop to work on the bike today as I only have one visit so its more doable than mulitple visits.

I used to wonder if I would get fitter on the old Halfords bike, being heavier and harder work etc, but the truth is (for me anyway) that I have got fitter on the Defy as I want to ride it, I look forward to riding it. Even though in lycra shorts and a cycling top (those pockets are so handy for stuff) I look like a space turnip, but its ok.

I would say to just go for it, if you can afford it. Ride the road bike on nice days, keep the MTB for rotten days and I reckon that you will see an improvement in your fitness, as I did as you have the pure pleasure of riding the sexy road bike.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Thanks for that Saluki, actually the Defy 1 or 2 are a couple (of many) i've been considering aswell.
I'm the type that will push as hard as i can on every ride no matter what i'm riding, so changing to a road bike is'nt gonna make it any easier for me (if you see what i mean) but if it adds to the fun factor & those ave mph's go up & distances travelled go up then that's what i'm after !

As some of you will probably already know, i've only been on a bike since July this year after not sitting on one for probably 20 years, i'm 44 years old, still slightly overweight although i've already lost about 2.5 stone this year, i bought a hybrid with front suspension (which is mostly locked off) & knobbly 700x45 tyres, i bought the bike to help me try & shift another stone in weight but have been well hooked since i've started :laugh:

Trouble is now that when i'm out which is almost always on the road i'm looking on in envy watching the roadies wafting by in complete silence as oppose to the wurring buzz of my tyres on the road......not to mention now i've just discovered Strava & i'm feeling a bit ...erm Slow in comparison to alot of people on there ha ha (still have my old competetive spirit but not the fitness ha ha)

The question i suppose i'm asking is would a road bike make much difference to me in terms of fitness/speed & the ability to get the miles in to someone like me or should i just stick to my bike & work on my general fitness/weight ?

Plus.......they are damn sexy !!!
As some of you will probably already know, i've only been on a bike since July this year after not sitting on one for probably 20 years, i'm 44 years old, still slightly overweight although i've already lost about 2.5 stone this year, i bought a hybrid with front suspension (which is mostly locked off) & knobbly 700x45 tyres, i bought the bike to help me try & shift another stone in weight but have been well hooked since i've started :laugh:

Trouble is now that when i'm out which is almost always on the road i'm looking on in envy watching the roadies wafting by in complete silence as oppose to the wurring buzz of my tyres on the road......not to mention now i've just discovered Strava & i'm feeling a bit ...erm Slow in comparison to alot of people on there ha ha (still have my old competetive spirit but not the fitness ha ha)

The question i suppose i'm asking is would a road bike make much difference to me in terms of fitness/speed & the ability to get the miles in to someone like me or should i just stick to my bike & work on my general fitness/weight ?

Plus.......they are damn sexy !!!

like mostpeople have said....road bike will improve your timing should get at least 3 mile an hour quicker..as for fitness the bike youve got will do it just as well,probably better as you have to put more effort in...ive got both and prefer my road bike...have used hybrid this week cause of the weather...massive difference

Drago

Legendary Member
I have a very nice roadie..circa £2500 when new.....but the funny thing is that I am revamping an old £200 halfords MTB to be my commuter. Will fit some slicks and get rid of the suspension but fit some mudguards and heavier lights. Who cares if you fly up hills in the morning?
Roger that. apart from being a bit heavier, you can't beat the comfort, durability, crappy weather surefootedness and dounpour unaffected braking ability. sure, when the weathers halfway decent I ride my roadie to work, but when things turn a bit gloomy you cannae beat the indefatigable character of a slick shod MTB. Your faithful friend.

And I love mine, even though it's a frankensteins monster of spare parts and late night shed bodgery.

RWright

Guru
+1 for getting a road bike for nice weather:bicycle: I did and I am glad I did. I am only a couple of MPH faster on it so far but I like riding both my bikes. Just take your time and find what you want, even then you will probably still be wanting to upgrade components :laugh:. I have a feeling that urge never ends.

I dont see why road bikes are just for good weather, I have a rack and panniers on mine, I have ridden it in all weathers, yea and the snow some years ago.

Drago

Legendary Member
The bigger footprint and lazier geometry make the more stable in truly shocking condition, although roadies are by no means unusable. 105 dual pivots are good, but in the wet the Hope M4 4-pot hydraulics on my computer are in a different league, though it looks like Colnago could be about to change all that forever.

And by 'eck as like, a 32 tooth granny ring ain't half nice riding home into the wind with a leg injury like I had to yesterday!

And by 'eck as like, a 32 tooth granny ring ain't half nice riding home into the wind with a leg injury like I had to yesterday!
I have a 26 front and up to a 34 rear its currently 28, but can change it. I also suffere from an old compression injury to my leg/knee, so I know what you mean

Peteaud

Veteran
Don't know if it's a sign of getting old and preferring comfort over speed, but I am enjoying my hybrid more than my road bike now. Really not that much difference in speed either.

I think it depends on what you want on your ride.

Yesterday was sunny and warm so we made a few ham rolls and cycled the country lanes. Speed and distance didnt matter. My hybrid is just so good for this and the wifes bike is a hybrid as well so it means we are on equal machines.

(A pic of our snack break)
229826_4768204169213_503748214_n.jpg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I think it depends on what you want on your ride.

Yesterday was sunny and warm so we made a few ham rolls and cycled the country lanes. Speed and distance didnt matter. My hybrid is just so good for this and the wifes bike is a hybrid as well so it means we are on equal machines.

Looks lovely. Perfect picnic weather too.

Yes, I feel I will never be a fast cyclist anyway, so am coming round to the way of thinking that I will just continue putting in gentle miles. I have been feeling a bit frustrated reading how others average speeds have risen within a couple of weeks of starting. Mine is sticking resolutely at just over 12mph and doesn't seem to be getting any faster even after six weeks. Don't want to keep pushing it and maybe putting myself off.

Top Bottom