Road bike envy !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grayduff

Über Member
Looks lovely. Perfect picnic weather too.

Yes, I feel I will never be a fast cyclist anyway, so am coming round to the way of thinking that I will just continue putting in gentle miles. I have been feeling a bit frustrated reading how others average speeds have risen within a couple of weeks of starting. Mine is sticking resolutely at just over 12mph and doesn't seem to be getting any faster even after six weeks. Don't want to keep pushing it and maybe putting myself off.
12 + a mph average = little bit to for the last 4 weeks BUT happy to plod on 10/15 milers building up slowly on my Hybrid/commuter/flat bar racer ? Tachyon GT4..^_^.
maybe next year when the money tree allows a road bike may be the next thing..Whatever happens I HAVE been bitten by the bug and enjoying....

Peteaud

Veteran

Yes, I feel I will never be a fast cyclist anyway, so am coming round to the way of thinking that I will just continue putting in gentle miles. I have been feeling a bit frustrated reading how others average speeds have risen within a couple of weeks of starting. Mine is sticking resolutely at just over 12mph and doesn't seem to be getting any faster even after six weeks. Don't want to keep pushing it and maybe putting myself off.

I can go out on my road bike and nail the distance and speed, but some days i just love going out on a pootle ride.

For those that race themselves and keep on pushing thats fine, and i do that as well, but sometimes its good to just relax and enjoy the world out on a bike.

Ive even been thinking of getting a retro 40's style for pootles.

nathanicola

I think it depends on what you want on your ride.

Yesterday was sunny and warm so we made a few ham rolls and cycled the country lanes. Speed and distance didnt matter. My hybrid is just so good for this and the wifes bike is a hybrid as well so it means we are on equal machines.

(A pic of our snack break)
229826_4768204169213_503748214_n.jpg
Where's that to? It was such a nice day yestarday ,i spent all day working in the nice weather exited about a sunday ride and now it's pouring. :rain:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Earlier this year I met up with a few guys from another forum and we set off on a fairly gentle 30 miler. I thought I was fit and I'd been cycling for around the same time as the other guys who were of a similar age to me. We were all on £500-900 road bikes and so, equally matched.

Blow me, but they kept disappearing into the distance and I just couldn't keep up. I was embarrassed and to be honest, the whole thing nearly scunnered me with cycling. But, it made me re-think what I want out of it. I figured there was no way I was going to be a racing snake so I've bought a Tricross and I'm looking to explore the old drover roads and military roads around here, as well as commuting to home games 12 miles away at Falkirk every 2nd Saturday. Interestingly, my average speeds on tarmac are almost the same as with the Secteur this time last year.

One of the guys in that group has joined a club, bought a carbon bike and is doing 40 milers at an average 25mph! While I'm seriously impressed, I think I'm happy plodding along at 15mph :bicycle:

Crosstrailer

As some of you will probably already know, i've only been on a bike since July this year after not sitting on one for probably 20 years, i'm 44 years old, still slightly overweight although i've already lost about 2.5 stone this year, i bought a hybrid with front suspension (which is mostly locked off) & knobbly 700x45 tyres, i bought the bike to help me try & shift another stone in weight but have been well hooked since i've started :laugh:

Trouble is now that when i'm out which is almost always on the road i'm looking on in envy watching the roadies wafting by in complete silence as oppose to the wurring buzz of my tyres on the road......not to mention now i've just discovered Strava & i'm feeling a bit ...erm Slow in comparison to alot of people on there ha ha (still have my old competetive spirit but not the fitness ha ha)

The question i suppose i'm asking is would a road bike make much difference to me in terms of fitness/speed & the ability to get the miles in to someone like me or should i just stick to my bike & work on my general fitness/weight ?

Plus.......they are damn sexy !!!

Bob, are you running Borough XC's ? They should have a dead smooth centre line. My Crosstrail is far quicker than my brothers Spesh 29er in terms of tyres and gearing for example.

I am aiming to get enough weight off so that I can buy a road bike, but I will be keeping the Crosstrail because it is just so versatile.

My brother has had several road bikes and seemed to have endless puncture and wheel problems on all of them, I do think when I am out riding how road bikes cope with the state of some of the roads round where I am. Still, I look forward to the day when I can have one of my own.

One last thing, I have several roadie scalps, guys in lycra, full team kits, very expensive bikes, I even have a little list of makes I have scalped LOL

Peteaud

Veteran
Earlier this year I met up with a few guys from another forum and we set off on a fairly gentle 30 miler. I thought I was fit and I'd been cycling for around the same time as the other guys who were of a similar age to me. We were all on £500-900 road bikes and so, equally matched.

Blow me, but they kept disappearing into the distance and I just couldn't keep up. I was embarrassed and to be honest, the whole thing nearly scunnered me with cycling. But, it made me re-think what I want out of it. I figured there was no way I was going to be a racing snake so I've bought a Tricross and I'm looking to explore the old drover roads and military roads around here, as well as commuting to home games 12 miles away at Falkirk every 2nd Saturday. Interestingly, my average speeds on tarmac are almost the same as with the Secteur this time last year.

One of the guys in that group has joined a club, bought a carbon bike and is doing 40 milers at an average 25mph! While I'm seriously impressed, I think I'm happy plodding along at 15mph :bicycle:

Speed is great.

But so is just going for a bike ride. Exploring the rural roads and lanes within a 15/20 mile radius gives you hundreds of miles of cycling nirvana.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Bob, are you running Borough XC's ? They should have a dead smooth centre line. My Crosstrail is far quicker than my brothers Spesh 29er in terms of tyres and gearing for example.

I am aiming to get enough weight off so that I can buy a road bike, but I will be keeping the Crosstrail because it is just so versatile.

My brother has had several road bikes and seemed to have endless puncture and wheel problems on all of them, I do think when I am out riding how road bikes cope with the state of some of the roads round where I am. Still, I look forward to the day when I can have one of my own.

One last thing, I have several roadie scalps, guys in lycra, full team kits, very expensive bikes, I even have a little list of makes I have scalped LOL

I'm not sure what the tyre brand is (its in the garage & i can't be arsed to go look ha ha) but yeah they do have kind of a smoothish centre bit & gradually knobblier as they go towards the edges, so yeah they are'nt proper full on knobbly's like....infact i'm well impressed with them to be honest, i've gone over some rough loose stones n stuff & i keep listening out & hearing a few 'pop' noises but as yet (touches wood) they have remained intact.

I do love my bike & i can't see me ever getting rid of it, its so versatile...i'm like you i think, i need (would like) to lose a little more weight to do myself justice on a road bike i think...but it won't be long if i continue to work hard on my Crosstrail !!

Good on ya for scalping those roadies aswell mate....i find most of them i come across real miserable bugger's aswell !! But that's another topic i suppose.

I seem to have peaked at about 14 mph after 3 months, but the miles and hills are getting easier. When i did this ride yesterday I though it would be my most difficult ride to date, turns out it wasn't quite, though I did do it at my quickest speed for hight and distance to date.
http://app.strava.com/rides/22818920

Top Bottom