Road Bike - Flat Handlebars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulsjd

Afternoon all, novice cyclist here.

i have a specialized allez triple that I have owned for a couple of years, I previously has a fairly lightweight hybrid. I've never really been comfortable with drop handlebars and am thinking of changing them for somethlike more upright like a 'charge slice handlebar';

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/slice-handlebar-ec056712

i guess the difficult and expensive issue will be replacing the brakes / shifters which are currently mounted on the drop handlebars, can any one recommend a fairly economic solution?

many thanks

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Just been through the same thing...in reverse.....converted a flat bar to drops......no cheap solution that i found! Though you should be able to get brake levers that will operate dual caliper brakes, so you may not need new calipers, you might also find the front mech won't work with trigger shifters (different pull ratios). Post Spec/Part nos of the current kit on your Spesh and some of the technically skilled guys on here will advise you better than i can.

zizou

Veteran
Maybe i'm missing something but the charge slice handlebar looks like it will let you ride in the same position to what you would already get riding on the hoods!

OP
OP
P

Paulsjd

I think the barends would be more elevated and comfortable. As would the position of the brakes.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
i guess the difficult and expensive issue will be replacing the brakes / shifters which are currently mounted on the drop handlebars, can any one recommend a fairly economic solution?

If you want flat bars get flat bars, and these levers and these shifters are probably close to the cheapest that work with no other modification if you have 9 speed.

If on the other hand you have 8 speed [or don't mind having only 8 speed] then using these brifters (switchable to caliper mode) and e.g. a R443 front mech (make sure you pick the right clamp size/type for your seat tube) will likely be the cheapest possible avenue [even if you have to buy an 8 speed cassette].

You can cut the cost of the switch if you sell the surplus bits.

OP
OP
P

Paulsjd

If you want flat bars get flat bars, and these levers and these shifters are probably close to the cheapest that work with no other modification if you have 9 speed.

If on the other hand you have 8 speed [or don't mind having only 8 speed] then using these brifters (switchable to caliper mode) and e.g. a R443 front mech (make sure you pick the right clamp size/type for your seat tube) will likely be the cheapest possible avenue [even if you have to buy an 8 speed cassette].

Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed response. I'll have a look into that.

Some recommend selling and buying a new bike, but I think the residual value of an XL bike may not be great, so I'd prob lose 3-400 quid. Doesn't sound a good option to me.

OP
OP
P

Paulsjd

What flat bars would you recommend? Thanks

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Here's a pic of the handlebar in its natural environment, not sure it's designed to take brakes/shifters:

http://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/plug-1

I think they take road (e.g. including tt, barends) components, but not flat bar levers/shifters because of wrong grip diameter (23.8mm vs 22.2mm).

What flat bars would you recommend? Thanks

You have to figure out what clamp size you need firstly (25.4mm or oversize 31.8mm) at the stem, then you need to ask yourself whether you want flattish, slightly curved or riser bars - they do impact your cockpit position. Then if I were you I would go along to CRC's website, the mtb section, and pick the Price Low to High drop down menu and see which is the cheapest that fits the above and whatever other criteria you have such as colour and finish etc. and buy that.

Unless you have specific need (e.g. very light flat that is not carbon - then Easton EA70 at 150g is one I can recommend), cheapest works.

Oh before I forget, flat bar brake levers need different brake inner wires compared to what you have now.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Some recommend selling and buying a new bike, but I think the residual value of an XL bike may not be great, so I'd prob lose 3-400 quid. Doesn't sound a good option to me.

Since you said you are a novice I guess the modification cost may need to include labour which you might want to consider. If that is reasonable and if you are sure the upright posture (like riding on the top of the bars) is what you want then it can certainly be an inexpensive option. The only other thing you might want to contemplate before any change, is whether you would be happy by raising the existing bars, by options such as flipping or changing the stem.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Afternoon all, novice cyclist here.

i have a specialized allez triple that I have owned for a couple of years, I previously has a fairly lightweight hybrid. I've never really been comfortable with drop handlebars and am thinking of changing them for somethlike more upright like a 'charge slice handlebar';

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/slice-handlebar-ec056712

many thanks

expect to spend around £100 for a fully synced conversion to Tiagra level kit.

But think hard about it, I did this a good few years ago and ruined the riding of a nice Peugeot roadie because I thought it would give me a better visibility fast commuter when I had some money to upgrade its downtube shifters to STI's. I wish I had gone for the STI option, it never felt the same bike again with a flat bar, It felt a lot more skittish being more perched on top of it than hunkered down into it, I felt the lumps and bumps of the road far more through the saddle & I never felt I was getting the best pedalling stroke or efficiency out of it afterwards. It very soon tailed off into being barely used and got part-exed for a new drop bar bike.

If you really don't want a drop bar bike then I would suggest you think about selling it as is and put the money towards a new bike instead of such a major change to how you'll interact with this one.

(controversial suggestion alert) Might you consider cyclo cross type frog leg interrupter brake levers on the tops of the drop bar to put your braking control in a more upright position rather than having to shift to the hoods every time you need to slow down? I've used them completely happily and to good effect even in the wet on a CX bike (32mm slicks) but don't know how they'd fare on 23 or 25mm tyres

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you got your position correct with what you have now? Have you tried a couple of weeks of gentle stretching to make you even more comfortable.

Drops give you so many more positions over straight bars, that maybe it is worth a bit more perseverance.

Broadside

Guru
The only other thing you might want to contemplate before any change, is whether you would be happy by raising the existing bars, by options such as flipping or changing the stem.

^ This

With minor adjustments you can totally change the way the bike feels. In addition to the list of adjustments RAFN started you can also rotate the bars upwards or move the shifters up on the bars. Also consider the position of the saddle, there are a lot things you can adjust for free which can transform the feel and ride of your bike.

Top Bottom