Road Bike for an 11 yr old boy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I know someone who has the next size down from that and they are pleased with it. Don't know where you live but if you want it brand new then you can only get it from Islabikes. You don't have to visit them but if you do you can ride the bike in their car park. I did that and our Islabike turned up within about 2 days of ordering it, however I suspect at this time of year they probably have quite a few orders coming in.

Second hand probably fairly difficult to find - they probably go within clubs quite a bit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seconded Islabikes, we have a Bheinn 26 for our lad and it is a really excellent bike. We drove down to their place to buy it and took it away with us. TBH I don't think they despatch the bikes from the showroom, I think they may have a warehouse somewhere.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No there were definitely packed up bikes ready for collection by the delivery company when I was there but I don't think they tend to let customers collect - but not sure on that. Don't know how many 2nd hand bikes they get back... I think they usually say you will get more by going 2nd hand yourself.

OP
OP
P

PMB

Thanks all, I live pretty far away (Lancs) but may go down to make sure its right for him.

ChrisKH

Guru
My ten year old son got a 26" Beinn today as it's his birthday. He wanted a more upright bike for commuting to school and general utility bike otherwise he would have gone for the Luath. Plus he's a tall lad, so he fitted the large 26" Beinn rather than the smaller framed 26" Beinn or the 26" Luath.

Next stop, adult road bike!!!

PpPete

Legendary Member
My 11 y.o. (of similar height) manages a 50cm frame 700c wheel road bike OK. Still too big for him really, has saddle right down, and he's still too stretched out even with shortest possible stem, but he loves it. I had flat bars & twist grips on it at first so it would be like his MTB, but he soon insisted on converting back to drops.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm planning on buying that very Islabike, Paul. My boy is only 7, but is already big enough for it. I'll wait until the end of winter/early spring though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would agree with the sitting on the bike ... I took my shortish 8 year old and they started off getting out the Beinn 20. I pointed out that I didn't mind him trying it but that I wanted to see him on the Beinn 24 to see how far he was fitting that one. She took another look at him and said he might fit now. Literally was at the bottom end of fitting the bike - he got on and rode off confidently around the car-park. According to the website they say from 7+, although I had measured his inside leg and didn't think he would fit the bike at that point.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Thanks - it's been fairly accurate for the last bike we got him. He's very tall for his age, and not so long ago has a shoe size two sizes larger than the next largest in his class.

Top Bottom