Road bike frame, Carbon or Aluminium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As this is my first post on the forum I'd like to say hello to you all.

Now, if I could pick your brains please. After many years mountainbiking I'm looking to spend in the region of £1,500 - £2,000 on a decent road bike for fitness training and social riding.

If you had 2k to spend on a road bike burning a hole in your pocket what would you buy, Carbon or Aluminium and why.

Thanks guys.

Steve.

dodgy

For £2000, carbon - no question.

But armed with experiences of a recent new bike purchase, I'd go with titanium and I already have a carbon Dolan road bike.

Welcome xx(

Garz

Squat Member
Most bikes over the £1200 bracket will be carbon frames anyway, however there is still some great alu ones that are on par. You may want to consider pushing the boat out further and get a Titanium one which should last forever! xx(

wyno70

Titanium!

I had a £2k carbon bike and swapped it for a similar priced Van Nicholas Euros. Never looked back. I love it and wouldn't swap it for any other bike.

AlanW

Guru
What about steel?

I have a carbon framed road bike, an aluminium framed road bike and a Reynolds 853 framed road bike, and I know which one I prefer for long distances.

As a point of interest, the steel one is lighter than the aluminium one.

aJohnson

I'd get a nice carbon bike. I know as soon as I save enough money I'll be getting a carbon.

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Guru
Thanks folks. You've given me plenty to think about although I must say the new Trek Madones do look the business.

By the way, love the YouTube clip, very funny :laugh:

Top Bottom