road bike frame size for 6'2"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
morning

always taken LBS advice without listening in the past buying bikes

thinking about buying something previously enjoyed offa ebay, road bike

going to be locking up at college soon so something new and shiny isn't such a good idea

anyway, what frame sizes can I consider, I've seen a range of sites that give me results between 58 and 61

any ideas? I a gnat's under six two but fairly long legged I think

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
umm and anything to watch out for? I know even less about road bikes than hybrids

I take it down tube shifters will be a shag for commuting, othersie are the older 80s/90s bikes worth looking at?

And what's a good price for a reasonable entry level and a bit bike, I'm told you get more for your money for a road bike, I'm doing around 30 miles a day all year (hopefully)

thanks

Tynan said:
morning

always taken LBS advice without listening in the past buying bikes

thinking about buying something previously enjoyed offa ebay, road bike

going to be locking up at college soon so something new and shiny isn't such a good idea

anyway, what frame sizes can I consider, I've seen a range of sites that give me results between 58 and 61

any ideas? I a gnat's under six two but fairly long legged I think

Tynan said:
umm and anything to watch out for? I know even less about road bikes than hybrids

I take it down tube shifters will be a shag for commuting, othersie are the older 80s/90s bikes worth looking at?

And what's a good price for a reasonable entry level and a bit bike, I'm told you get more for your money for a road bike, I'm doing around 30 miles a day all year (hopefully)

thanks

Righty, lets get things going.

Yooooooou at 6'2" will be looking at a 56cm or 58cm traditional frame depending on whether you are nice and flexible and normally proportioned (58cm) or have the flexibility of concrete (56cm) - The only way to work it out is to have a sit, but those are the two sizes you will be looking at.

I recommend getting to Decathlon and picking up one of their B'twin roadbikes for about £170, with STI shifters. It doesn't look too fancy but seems v capeabl;e.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
£170?

can that be decent? I've been riding a £500 Canondale hybrid the last few months and might have got a taste for the slightly fine things

aye aye on 58cm, I've seen 60cm frame bikes mentioned as fine for chaps over 6', isn't the reach to the handlebars important too or this all irrelevant for a commute?

and thanks

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Check out the spec on it Tynan, it's not half bad for a commuter. They do one with DT shifters for a mere £115 as well (indexed rear, friction front).

FWIW, I ride a 23" frame, at 6'2" 33" inside leg. I find it a touch short, but then I think I like my bars higher (and saddle lower relative to the frame) than most roadies. I ride with downtube friction shifters, and they're not so bad, although you'll have to anticipate a bit more than when the shifters are to hand.

This chap is doing a long term test of the £115 decathlon model, in case you're interested.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
cool monkey, thank-you, bars higher, that's it, keen to do roadie but a bit unsure about being too heads down, I like the seat right up, so to speak

I used to be perfectly happy with friction shifts back in the day before all the fancy index stuff appeared

giant man

For god's sake go and get yourself measured properly before making any hard and fast decisions. Only then will you get a frame that will fit you properly.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
giant man said:
For god's sake go and get yourself measured properly before making any hard and fast decisions. Only then will you get a frame that will fit you properly.

what does that mean in practice?

I have a Decathlon Sport 2 still for sale
Here

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
ta lifeson but I'm waiting on some money to come

and that one doesn't have holes for mudgurad and rack I think, I need all those things

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
D'you have an Edinburgh Bike Co-Op near you Tynan? Their road bikes have rack/guard mounts, plus you should be able to try one.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
no idea whatsoever, I'm in London E4

I was going to sponsor the LBS but they're very mtb and hybrid orientated and only have two £2,000+ roadies in stock

google ahoy

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
tee hee

Aberdeen, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Leeds and Manchester.

that'd be no then, I'm sure there must be plenty of decent bike shops in London, thanks anyway

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I seem to recall that Giant's SCR series (generally pretty well regarded) have guard and rackmounts (in fact, saw an SCR2 outside with guards and rack fitted today). You'd probably need to think about the tyres you wanted to run and check that there was sufficient clearance though.

I think that most bikes described as Audax/light touring frames will have guard mounts too (isn't it a requirement for Audax?)

Nice looking bike Lifeson - nice setup on it too by the looks of it. Would it be impertinent to ask the frame size, and where in the height range you are yourself?

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
yep, no doubt that there's plenty made with mounts, but ta

from the thread helpfully provided earlier, the bloke riding the low end Decathalon bike said it was heavy, can't say that's too high on my list, I want to be going fast and easy

on something that doesn't look worth stealing

Top Bottom