Road Bike Prices Rise are brands cashing in on the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Weak sterling clearly contributing too.

Global shortage of stock, global high demand, I don‘t think UK prices will crash and used prices will stay strong too especially if we have decent spring and summer weather and continued lock downs.

Are Canyon even shopping to the UK now, and if they are, presumably with the extra customs fees on top?
Canyon have resumed shipping to the UK and raised their prices to cover it they say. But the cynic in me suspects that they are cashing in on the high demand also.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Definitely an element of cashing in as demand outstrips supply. Oh bought his Cannonball Quick hybrid for £240 in around Oct 2019. These were in the sale at Rutland Cycles. As lockdown hit the same bikes went up to the rrp (which is a purely arbitrary price) of £460 and have stayed there. It's rare to see a sub £1500 bike discounted now, other than at say Decathlon - but again they set the rrp of their own brand bikes so It's a bit like Sports Direct constantly reducing their stuff by 70% having set the rrp themselves.

Certainly during the last lockdown smart trainers went from plentiful and cheap in ebay to scarce and fetching as much as used ones. I was thinking of buying a Tacx from a company on ebay that refurbs them - around £40 depending on condition. These soon sold out and used ones from private sellers doubled in price. (Glad I didn't buy one as we don't have room).

I don't think we'll see a drop in prices or demand until Christmas at least, probably not till next year. But even then, if you've paid £500 for a bike casual cyclists are probably going to hope to recoup most of that after just a year. I can't see a glut of cheap year old bikes coming for a while yet.

lane

Veteran
I read recently an article about a "large toy importer" such as trampolines. The issue he has was cost of shipping, delays at the docks and consequently much higher cost to transport a container from the docks to South Wales. The cost increase was so significant he was looking at manufacturing in the UK. No doubt these costs impact bikes as well.

D

Deleted member 26715

I read recently an article about a "large toy importer" such as trampolines. The issue he has was cost of shipping, delays at the docks and consequently much higher cost to transport a container from the docks to South Wales. The cost increase was so significant he was looking at manufacturing in the UK. No doubt these costs impact bikes as well.
That's good that they are looking to manufacture in the UK, but it seems strange there are increased costs, apart from a few sheets of paper nothing has actually changed, the cost from the manufacturer to the docks should not have changed, the delay's yes that's real, but there should be no difference in cost from the docks to South Wales, so somebody is marking up to make more profit.

lane

Veteran
That's good that they are looking to manufacture in the UK, but it seems strange there are increased costs, apart from a few sheets of paper nothing has actually changed, the cost from the manufacturer to the docks should not have changed, the delay's yes that's real, but there should be no difference in cost from the docks to South Wales, so somebody is marking up to make more profit.

Cost of container shipping had increased - shortage of containers heard about elsewhere - not Brexit. Cost of transport more presumably due to hauliers wasting loads of time at the docks.

lane

Veteran
I'm not doubting it's true but to me that reads that the shippers & the hauliers are just making extra profit with the higher demand, the market forces are pushing the prices up, not the actual costs.

Possibility so but assume it also impacts bike prices.

Although if hauliers are spending hours queueing at Felixstowe they aren't going to do it for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom