Road Bike Prices Rise are brands cashing in on the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
You lost me when you starting referring to the "political elite" - I stopped reading then as to avoid any claims of wanting to 'Drain The Swamp'.

No matter how you frame it we have left and it's caused prices to rise, big time. And prices tend not to fall once they have gone up. We are entering a recession and wages won't be going up anytime soon - even if they do not by 10-20%.

Brexit has shafted us. They were told it would but wouldn't listen, the just lapped up the rhetoric and propaganda. And now we all have to pick up the pieces (and pay more money for our bikes).

As I read this, sat at home in a north-western town whose industry has been decimated by cheap imports, in a country with massive trade deficits with much of the world, I wondered if you had at any time, just for a second, considered whether or not you being able to buy cheap imported stuff is really a good thing for the country, and not just for you?

As I read this, sat at home in a north-western town whose industry has been decimated by cheap imports, in a country with massive trade deficits with much of the world, I wondered if you had at any time, just for a second, considered whether or not you being able to buy cheap imported stuff is really a good thing for the country, and not just for you?
Dont go there! I have said similar on the brexit threads and every man and his dog jumps in. Keep these sorts of things where they belong and those lot belong too.

D

Deleted member 26715

You are completely correct, but as above this is not the place to discuss such stuff, if you want a robust discussion as to why you're wrong ask the question over on the N&CA forum (you will have to subscribe to it), but be warned if you have an opposing view to the collective then caution is required as they like fresh blood.

You are completely correct, but as above this is not the place to discuss such stuff, if you want a robust discussion as to why you're wrong ask the question over on the N&CA forum (you will have to subscribe to it), but be warned if you have an opposing view to the collective then caution is required as they like fresh blood.
Correct not the place, but he is not wrong in his opinion

, if you want a robust discussion as to why you're wrong
At the risk of starting the discussion that we both agree shouldn't be here, I never said he was & if you read I put exactly the opposite ^_^
My apologies and at the risk of replying to a discussion we both agree that should not be started^_^ I thought the above comment was inferring he was wrong in your opinion

faster

Über Member
Dont go there! I have said similar on the brexit threads and every man and his dog jumps in. Keep these sorts of things where they belong and those lot belong too.

Thank you for the friendly warning, but I have no idea what you are on about. What is the N&CA forum?

I don't know why you have brought Brexit into this, or indeed singled me out. This is a much wider issue than Brexit and my post is basically apolitical compared to a large proportion of this thread (if that is your issue with my post).

I was merely responding to a post (and it isn't the only one in this thread) which from my perspective came across as selfish. To me, it was tantamount to being a frank admission of someone who is happy to trade industries, livelihoods and the economy for the short term hit of getting something on the cheap.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Of course they are cashing in on demand. And why shouldn't they? Most of the time demand is fairly low and margins are razor thin. Let them make a buck while they can. Eventually things will go back to pre-covid and we'll all be telling people to shop at local bike shops to keep them from closing.
I think multi millionaire companies like Giant, Trek, Canyon etc have probably made a buck or two already and yes they are cashing in on demand, I just wonder will it leave them with surplus stock due to pricing, the likes of Ribble (yes not in the same league as them) haven’t put their prices up on bike builds as of yet , I don’t think Cube and Specialized have altered their prices ( might have to check that) so will that push others to other brands for decent savings, I guess the waiting game will probably produce the most purchases I think, but the offers will then look a sale price as it will be “ £500 off, sale , buy now “ , but that will go to the original price they were first priced at anyway 😀, interesting to see how the next few months go, will it be ‘ sold out ‘ or ‘ more than 50 available ‘ on websites ,

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Maybe now would be a great time for some enterprising Brits to start manufacturing frames and components in this country. None of the technology is exactly rocket science.

Thank you for the friendly warning, but I have no idea what you are on about. What is the N&CA forum?

I don't know why you have brought Brexit into this, or indeed singled me out. This is a much wider issue than Brexit and my post is basically apolitical compared to a large proportion of this thread (if that is your issue with my post).

I was merely responding to a post (and it isn't the only one in this thread) which from my perspective came across as selfish. To me, it was tantamount to being a frank admission of someone who is happy to trade industries, livelihoods and the economy for the short term hit of getting something on the cheap.
Hello @faster Apologies if you miss understood my reply. I 100% agree with your initial post. I was merely having a dig at those who instantly turned this into a Brexit problem or Brexit is the reason for the pricing because they generally turn everything into Brexit. If the cat dies, it’s because of Brexit

bencran

Skipping past all the brexit talk.

My Trek Emonda went up £250 on the Trek website the day after I made my purchase. Most retailers went up over the next 2-3 days, including the seller I bought from.

Joffey

Big Dosser

If they made it here I would buy it here. Not sure that I have bought many 'cheaply imported' cycling related stuff. It all costs a bloody fortune :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom