Road Bikes, V Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was referring more to the abomination that hides the hub, or am I the only one who goes weak at the knees over 'wide flange' hubs. :wub:
No idea what one of those is I'm afraid. The discs/rotors are hardly intrusive :wacko:

It’s progress innit? This has been discussed here many times, there are pluses and minuses on both sides but the fact is disc brakes have fewer minuses than rims given the superior stopping power and modulation they provide. You are going to see them appearing on more bikes whether budget, premium or race models.
They have already become de riguer on Gravel bikes and tourers and in a few years times I believe rim brakes will only be found on budget bikes.
Afraid you blew your well reasoned argument (tho i disagree with it) with the lapse into gratuitous cyclist french there cycleops :smile:

While I agree that marketing is responsible for the rise in popularity of Di2 which only give a notional increase in performance I like to think it has more to do with a desire to provide better braking performance. It’s happened with cars so why not bikes?
God help us if we follow the development path of cars cycleops. No one will be self maintaining their own wonderfully simple machines for a start.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bikes are quite capable of reaching the urban speed limit and above and unlike a car there is no metal box around you to protect you so being able to stop in the shortest time possible should be a primary consideration shouldn’t it?

Not all do. My Specialized gravel bike has larger disc on the front than on the rear.
Interesting about the Specialized brakes.
To answer the other point, it's simple physics, 2 tonne of car at 30mph requires a lot more force to stop it than 100kg of rider and bicycle at 30mph....

Fab Foodie

I was referring more to the abomination that hides the hub, or am I the only one who goes weak at the knees over 'wide flange' hubs. :wub:
You're not alone....

Fab Foodie

No idea what one of those is I'm afraid. The discs/rotors are hardly intrusive :wacko:
Like these beauties....

1591628756377.png

1591628802530.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think the final straw in my wondering if I should give discs a go was when I realised there were multiple axle standards. So not only were disc wheels not compatible with my old frames, they wouldn't even fit most *disc* frames ...

Ah but that’s them messing around with axels . Disc brakes and conventional QR hubs is a perfectly fine combination.

Top Bottom