Road Bikes, V Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Okay that’s from experience but perhaps you’d like to explain why discs are becoming more commonplace?

Not really interested in the question, to be honest.

I have both on different bikes, they have their pros and cons, which is "best" depends on what your application is IMO.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
While I agree that marketing is responsible for the rise in popularity of Di2 which only give a notional increase in performance I like to think it has more to do with a desire to provide better braking performance. It’s happened with cars so why not bikes?

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
While I agree that marketing is responsible for the rise in popularity of Di2 which only give a notional increase in performance I like to think it has more to do with a desire to provide better braking performance. It’s happened with cars so why not bikes?

Bikes already had disc brakes - with very large diameter discs.

Again, I don't disagree there are pros and cons, just that it's not clear cut one way or the other across all bike types.

Cars have considerably more rubber on the road, so the brakes are more of a limiting factor.
(there are many other factors that make car engineering, cost and performance very different to bikes, but the tyres are the biggest/simplest difference).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
RIm brakes are lighter (no disc, for a start, and the levers and calipers are also lighter) and can use a lighter frame and fork because the braking force is taken at an already strong point. Rim wear isn't a big issue if you use decent pads.

As for why road bikes don't have V-brakes, it's because it's hard to get enough cable pull with drop bar levers. These do exist but they generally suck.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Because bikes are lighter and slower?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Because bikes are lighter and slower?
Bikes are quite capable of reaching the urban speed limit and above and unlike a car there is no metal box around you to protect you so being able to stop in the shortest time possible should be a primary consideration shouldn’t it?

Also, why do bicycles have such a large disc and pads (same size as the front) at the rear?
Not all do. My Specialized gravel bike has larger disc on the front than on the rear.

Top Bottom