Road bikes vs rider weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biglad82

Just a few questions I need answering about road bikes, now been on the larger side (height and weight wise) would a road bike be a viable option ? Or even a CX bike with slicks, are these tougher than your normal Roadie ?
Off road stuff I'll be using the Subway. So without spending no more than £350ish could I get a good weight bearing roadie,
Viking echelon
Carrera TDF
Carrera virtuoso
Shogun Kurokan CX
Barracuda BLackfin
Or for that little bit extra
Dawes sportif comp
And of course the one you guys always recommend
Triban 3 one major factor putting me off this is the carbon forks, don't feel comfortable riding something that can shatter under my weight..... Suggestions people will be appreciated.. :cheers:

Nearly there

Veteran
How heavy are you? There's plenty of big lads out there on road bikes

Nearly there

Veteran
I think an alu framed bike with carbon fork will be fine using 25mm tyres pumped up to the max on the rear with some good solid wheels

OP
OP
Biglad82

Biglad82

I do believe he also rode a road bike on 23mm tyres from 23st without issue
Bloody hell there really is hope then..

sabian92

Über Member
I do believe he also rode a road bike on 23mm tyres from 23st without issue

Didn't know that, but goes to show bikes are stronger than people think.

Bloody hell there really is hope then..

Honestly, while 280 is overweight, nobody is too heavy for a bike. Gary started riding when he was 1lb short of 40 stone - that's 560lbs. You will need to be careful with wheels and making sure the spokes are tensioned properly, as well as avoiding any sort of pothole (or risk wrecking your wheels) but as for just getting on and riding there is no problem. I'm 16st and I ride on 25c wheels and apart from the odd time I have to true them (actually all the time because they're crap wheels, but if they weren't I wouldn't have to) I've had no problems.

He is also a member here I believe :biggrin: Truly inspiring story.
He is indeed, and inspiring he certainly is, he is in fact gb155 of this very parish :thumbsup:

As for weight, I'm a big guy, always have been, 6' 5" and built like a brike shi outhouse.

I've always emailed manufacturers before commiting to a bike. So far in road bikes I've had a Trek Madone 5.5 (full carbon), a Focus Cayo Pro (full carbon, a Focus Mares (alu CX bike), Specialized Langster Steel, Ribble 7005 winter bike, and my Cannondale CAAD10, and FWIW I also had a full carbon Focus Raven MTB at one point.

Each of these manufacturers has always come back saying there was no weight limit on their frames.

I very nearly bought a Felt AR2 a couple of years ago, in fact my mind was made up until they emailed me back saying there frame weight limit was 16 stone :sad:

Componnents are another story though, but stick to high spoked wheels, (32 or 36 spokes), and you'll be fine. That said I was running a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL's, (low spoke count), and didn't have any problems with them, but it was on my mind. I now run Mavic Open Pro rims with Hope Pro 3 hubs on my CAAD, and stock Halo Aerorage wheels on my Ribble :thumbsup:

Nearly there

Veteran
I gues I'd have to try the carbon forks myself but from what I have seen carbon doesn't looks a little brittle? I know it's strong stuff but it flexe more than alu n steel
There's a thread on here where gb155 mentions how he rode 23mm tyres at 23st dont remember the thread though as theres that many however a good solid set of wheels will help

OP
OP
Biglad82

Biglad82

He is indeed, and inspiring he certainly is, he is in fact gb155 of this very parish :thumbsup:

As for weight, I'm a big guy, always have been, 6' 5" and built like a brike shi outhouse.

I've always emailed manufacturers before commiting to a bike. So far in road bikes I've had a Trek Madone 5.5 (full carbon), a Focus Cayo Pro (full carbon, a Focus Mares (alu CX bike), Specialized Langster Steel, Ribble 7005 winter bike, and my Cannondale CAAD10, and FWIW I also had a full carbon Focus Raven MTB at one point.

Each of these manufacturers has always come back saying there was no weight limit on their frames.

I very nearly bought a Felt AR2 a couple of years ago, in fact my mind was made up until they emailed me back saying there frame weight limit was 16 stone :sad:

Componnents are another story though, but stick to high spoked wheels, (32 or 36 spokes), and you'll be fine. That said I was running a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL's, (low spoke count), and didn't have any problems with them, but it was on my mind. I now run Mavic Open Pro rims with Hope Pro 3 hubs on my CAAD, and stock Halo Aerorage wheels on my Ribble :thumbsup:
Surly you was spending money on those bikes that I won't be any where near spending ?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You will be fine on a road bike with carbon fork and 23mm tyres. Only issue you will have is busted spokes on the rear wheel. Get a handbuilt 36h wheel and enjoy the cycling!

Top Bottom