Road Casualties in Great Britain: Main Results: 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The Department for Transport has published statistics on road casualties in accidents reportred to the police in Great Britain in 2008, according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority

The number of pedal cyclists killed fell by 15 per cent from 136 in 2007 to 115 in 2008. The number of seriously injured rose by 1 per cent to 2,450. The total casualties among pedal cyclists rose by 1 per cent to 16,297.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistic...ns/accidents/casualtiesmr/rcgbmainresults2008

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I had a quick look but I can't see any figures on whether their stats has any idea if bike usage has increased in that same time period, my feeling from Bristol is that it has.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
And, without wanting to be too opportunistic, the CTC's safety in numbers campaign is well-founded. The more numerous the cyclists, the safer we are.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Origamist said:
Cycling is estimated to have risen by 12% over the same period.

I don't know the answer, but is that a useful metric?

Surely the proportion of cyclists to motor traffic is the key here? (Cycling could have risen, but if the number of cars "sharing" the road rises as well, is that *really* an increase that matters statistically in this context?)

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
I don't know the answer, but is that a useful metric?

Surely the proportion of cyclists to motor traffic is the key here? (Cycling could have risen, but if the number of cars "sharing" the road rises as well, is that *really* an increase that matters statistically in this context?)

Has the number of car journeys risen between 2007 - 2008 though? I'd hazard that they have plateaued.

Looks like they've fallen very slightly:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistic...ns/roadstraffic/traffic/qbtrafficgb/2008/q408

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Interesting. The RAC foundation study published recently had the car "population" increasing at 7 times the rate of population increase (I think) I guess people aren't using them?

Top Bottom