Road Cycling Safety BBC radio 5 discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Johnson

thomas said:
+1. I can usually beat any car of the mark.
Interesting.
But for how long,in traffic its possible to get ahead of cars for some considerable distance, I am a powerful sprinter(check my Utube clips) and can get up to 30 mph on a flat road in a short time before I burn up and have to slow down a bit. Sometimes leaving cars well behind,but lets not get carried away with this ,if the road ahead was clear and a driver decided to 'floor it' ,any cyclist would be left in the dust pretty rapidly.Most drivers just accelerate normaly tapping the accelerter gently usually because traffic conditions making it feel we can easliy out pace them. My humble astra 1.6 can will be flying past the 40mph mark at just over5 secs if I absoloutly floor it from standing, so your faster off the mark then:biggrin:...maybee for 3 secs if your clipped in and in the right gear .

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Last time I was in a hurry at some ped lights... I decided not to wait but get off and cross the road. The car behind moved forward on seeing me move and had to brake when he realised it was still red.

Top Bottom