Road Cycling Safety BBC radio 5 discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zorro

Veteran
Did anyone hear the phone in this morning on BBC 5 live radio with Nicky Campbell?

They had a driver from Devon, a cyclist and a lorry driver. I don't want to be harsh but the cyclist's arguement was weak from the outset. He said it was fine for the cyclist to skip a red light to get a head start on the traffic waiting at the lights and then said he prefers cycling on the pavements.

Is this the voice we cyclists want to put forward our case for safety on the road? Maybe he was a little less articulate than he could have been but surely his line of arguement was flawed?

If you heard the piece on the radio what did you think?

Here are some of the issues that were brought up by the discussion

Do you run red lights?
Cycle the wrong way up one-way streets?
Give hand signals when turning?
Do you find when at lights traffic is very aggresive when the lights change to green?

thomas

the tank engine
Sounds like you should have phoned in and told them to ignore their cyclist's views.

OP
OP
Zorro

Zorro

Veteran
To be fair, after that first cyclist - with the dubious views - there have been quite a few more sensible cyclists calling in. Putting a stronger point across. The discussion is still going on.

The main point seems to be that the rest of Europe has such a more advanced set up for road safety

I just want to put the record straight here, so I apologise if I shout a little....

Cyclists Do NOT need to run red lights to be safe! To say other wise is utter utter tosh!!

Carry on! :headshake:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
They can't hear you Mags. They're on the radio.

[quote name='swee'pea99']They can't hear you Mags. They're on the radio.[/quote]

I'd be happy to go on radio, however, I'd just be called a media tart! :headshake:

I don't run reds but getting past that cab yesterday just past at Fenchurch Street was stupid and impatient.Sorry mr cab driver.I should know better.

On the way home though had a cab pull in,in front of me (to pick up a fare) so that equalled the scores.:headshake: (Blackfriars)

jimboalee

Light turns red. No vehicles coming the other way. Cars behind.

Hop off, walk bike across crossways road, remount on other side and get on your way.

Thanks Solihull Police for that bit of advice.

Olly

Red light jumpers annoy the cr*p out of me.
when i started commuting in the late 80's riding to work wasn't nearly as popular as today.
I found if you used the road as a car does (signaling, using the right lanes, keeping a decent speed and NOT JUMPING THE LIGHTS) you got treated like you "DO" have a right to be on the road.
I stopped commuting for about 8 years and started again about 8 months ago.

what a change!!!

Not so bad in the winter but over the last few months there are the worst cyclists on the roads!!!
Really bad fair weather dawdlers with headphones or ON THE PHONE!!!!
and wanna be new york couriers on brand new designer fixies who nearly always jump the lights!!!!

I cycle within the road rules so if and when :biggrin: a white van / taxi / knight of the road F*cks me about i can let them have it with my morals intact and the law on my side!

having said all that i do cut across the north edge of norfolk sq. xx( (its a gravel "pavement" about 20feet wide):wacko:

rant over!!!:sad:

To be fair the 'plank' was on about slightly jumping red lights to get ahead start from the car behind. Still not obeying the Highway code but not the same as just ignoring them.
I know I start to go on Amber/get ready to go but by the time I actually get going its green!

Top Bottom