Road or MTB helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Go try one on, find one that fits.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
can - worms, worms - can.

what type of riding are you using it for and are you REALLY that bothered about the aero advantage of one over the other or the protection one chunk of polystyrene or another will give you if you're bouncing off a laminated windscreen going at 36mph (extreme e.g.)

If you've decided you're wearing a helmet for general riding find one you can afford, like the look of and is comfortable on your head and go for it.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Protection is the same for either. Road ones just can't have a peak attached and might be slightly lighter.

As an example... The Specialized MTB helmets with their peak removed look the same as their road helmets. Find one that's comfy, buy it.

OP
OP
W

Whiz

No im not bothered about aero advantage so if MTB were more sturdy then I might have gone with MTB instead of road (ill mainly be road riding)...
But if there are no more safety advantages over one than the other then I will just go on preference.
Many thanks

Cubist

Still wavin'
MTB lids have visors, useful for deflecting bits of crap away from your eyes/ face, but gets into your line of vision if you ride a road bike.

Modern "enduro style" helmets tend to have more lower rear protection, and the shell cover tends to extend lower down.

Check "Urge Enduromatic" as an example.
f_2896320.jpg

The standards are the same for both helmets.

Ignore EN1978 and look for CPSC, ANSI or Snell. Arguably as the tests get stricter, the protection offered is increased, but all helmets Snell tested will be comparative.

Then it is down to fit and comfort which will be unique to the manufacturer, I cannot wear Giro or MET as they are the wrong "shape". Trying a helmet on is essential.

The POC is an entirely different creature - note the yellow sticker!!!!!

Rotational injury is a reported downside to helmets, and POC uses a system called MIPS (Multi-directional Impact Protection System)

Layers that slide against each other reducing rotation, Scott and POC are the main advocates

This video explains:

Does it actually make a difference, well as in most of the helmet debate, including helmet technology the jury is out

Kies

Are there any benefits to either?
I'm guessing Road are slightly more aerodynamic but do MTB offer more protection?
Is it personal preference?
Im looking at these;
http://www......

aero and protection were asked about - we degenerate into a slanging match every time a helmet question comes up.
wear one if you wish
don't wear one if you wish

do they offer protection? are they worth wearing? .... depends on whether you sit in the pro or anti helmet camp.

to the OP - i wear a road helmet sometimes, and i wear a mtb helmet sometimes. sometimes i wear a cycling cap and other times i go commando. no real aero advantage\disadvatntage

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
As far as I am aware the road helmets have better air flow through the holes so you have less chance of sweating up . That's what I was told anyway .

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
so...if I want to ask about which belt is best to hold my trousers up, can I assume someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong, I shouldn't wear a belt, but braces instead and someone else will say I should just let my trousers hang gangsta stylee.........If i recall the OP didn't ask whether or not he should wear a helmet, but which one he should buy. Keep to the point and keep the thread on track, otherwise it will probably end up getting locked. ^_^

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
This has been taken off topic and the OP's questions seem to have been answered, so Thread is now Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom