Road or trail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a big fan of getting kids involved in sport to as high a level as possible. Once they're an adult they can drop it or whatever, but that skill an knowledge remains with them. Plus there's they healthy active lifestyle aids development argument, plus its a good chance for me to spend quality time with them.

I coached my eldest to 2nd Dan at Tae Kwon Do and she was the British Junior Inter Club champion at one point. It's now litre Amy's turn and I'm going to try and bring her along in cycling.

Problem is, I can't decide whether it should be mountain bike or road riding. My initial inclination is MTBing, not least of which because I'm qualified to teach it. Them there's the forest nearby for safe and convenient training.

But in not averse to road biking. Bits not so much my thing so I'd need to sort out some training, and its liable to be easier on the equipment and hence cheaper over time.

Thoughts?

HovR

Über Member
Not knowing how old Amy is or if she has any previous cycling experience, but I think starting with mountain biking would be a good option. It will give her the opportunity to improve (learn?) her bike handling skills in a safe environment away from traffic, as well as teaching a greater range of skills which you may not learn on the road (e.g. proper bike handling on loose surfaces and effective use of brakes).

If later on down the line she decides she wants to try road biking, then she'll already have the bike handling skills needed and will just need to implement that into a traffic environment.

the youth road/circuit racing scene is probably bigger than the off road scene right now, so I would look for a road-focused club. All go-ride clubs will teach handling skills as a matter of principle anywway. Incidentally, what is your MTB coaching qualification?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
She's 18 months and just getting to grips with a balance bike.

Black and Yella, im with MIAS, level 4 (2 levels higher than the resident trainers at Cannock) with the necessary modules to tailor it to emergency services personnel (so road skills, defensive tactics, off road search etc). Done the training for L5 so I can train others to Instructor level (L4) just waiting for a date for the honcho from MIAS to assess me.

Black and Yella, im with MIAS, level 4 (2 levels higher than the resident trainers at Cannock) with the necessary modules to tailor it to emergency services personnel (so road skills, defensive tactics, off road search etc). Done the training for L5 so I can train others to Instructor level (L4) just waiting for a date for the honcho from MIAS to assess me.

Do I detect a comedy thread here? I rather think I do.

18 months old and Dad is deciding whether to choose MTB or road racing?

Have I misunderstood something?

If it's a serous response you're after, I'd go for road racing. Particularly in view of the child's age. Colnago have some mean-looking carbon balance bikes based on the C50 geometry and with ersatz Ergo shifters to get the toddlers into the idea of changing gears. They also have some amusing Lance Armstrong mobiles you can hang from a frame over the tri-bars. Full team colours are available.

You can get her doing interval work to build that core aerobic recovery, but do not start her on heavier weights until she's older than three. She needs to learn the hard way that recovery is as important as workrate - and she needs to learn that before she's two - so get coaching now!

I hope I have helped, but I fear that perhaps I have not.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do you mind if I tell you a wee story? I was brought up in a mountaineering family and our family climbing friends suddenly had two daughters in quick succession. Throughout their childhood the two girls were dragged up mountains come rain or shine, took camping holidays in Scotland in all weathers and got pushed further and harder until.... they rebelled. One refused to climb again and the other took up water skiing (which was how I ended up water skiing on Loch Brittle but that's another story). I have never pushed my own son into cycling or skiing but happily he has discovered the joys of riding and sliding for himself, which I think is far better.

Just my hap'orth, like.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
In bit goinilgvto push her into it. I'm going to nurture and encourage and hopefully nature will take is own course like it did with my eldest.

And doubts my eldest had about quitting martial arts were dispelled one night when she was attacked by 3 men. She hit one so hard she split his stomach and the dibble quickly tracked him down in hospital.

Hicky

Guru

e.
(wah shield on)
Hmmmm, 18 months is fair for mastering a balance bike however I can see your concern that she isn't progressing enough!
(wah shield off)
Fun,fun,fun....anything or any activity that kids enjoy and builds confidence,agility and motor skills.

lulubel

Über Member
I'd say MTB. The skills she learns will transfer to the road if she decides to go down that route.

(As someone who has got into MTBing as an adult, I really, really wish I'd had the opportunity to learn when I was young and fearless.)

I'd say MTB. The skills she learns will transfer to the road if she decides to go down that route.

(As someone who has got into MTBing as an adult, I really, really wish I'd had the opportunity to learn when I was young and fearless.)

Massively off-topic, but the first day I rode an MTB was one of the best bike days I've had.

I was a leisure (casual) off-road motorcyclist and hated the weight of the things and the difficulty getting them out of marshy ground.

The first time I skittled down a muddy track on a (rigid) MTB, it was a revelation. It took no muscle at all to turn and when I ditched it I could retrieve it with one hand. Uphill was hard work compared to a motorcycle, but the rest was just distilled heaven.

Sorry... you can carry on talking about whatever you were talking about now....

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mountain biking absolutely transformed my life at a time when I'd just come back from an unsuccessful posting overseas and was depressed, bored and overweight. I had cycled as a kid and used regularly to break bikes riding them through fields and along lanes so to find a bike that was designed for this kind of treatment was a revelation on a biblical scale. I became completely obsessed, to the point where my family started to get sick of me and my brother talking, living and doing mountain biking.

The handling skills I learned in those 20 years have stood me in good stead now that I've outgrown mountain biking and gone over to the more subtle delights of The Road. When I'm out with my cycling buddy I am always the fastest down hills because I have the confidence that he lacks.

So I would defintely start with mountain biking, it's more fun for kids as well and safer away from traffic.

You've a while to decide!

Mtb is a natural choice. It's the only bike you need as it will do everything, road, off-road, path, scratting, touring, shopping, school etc... Choose wisely and a change of tyres, fitting of a rack will change it's purpose. Once things become firmed up, the next bike can be much more specific but initially....

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Cheers crackle. I must admit erring towards MTB, with my own knowledge and the benefit of a tasty local training ground.

I am partial to a bit of road riding, but I'm not so into it and don't have the skills to perhaps be trying to coach it. Also a little concerned about the risks of having a toungster loose on open Tarmac. I think I really need to track down either a seasoned roadie competitor or a coach and see what they think.

There is a bonus. I could start her on MTB and if she shows the inclination I could try her on road riding, and as lulubel and globule rightly point out the off road control skills translate well to the Tarmac.

So much to consider, and so little time. She'll be 19 months old soon!

Top Bottom