Road rage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Here we go, 74 years old so of an age that probably would have experienced corporal punishment in school if not at home. Deliberately drives over a cyclist, breaking their pelvis and ribs.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...running-over-cyclist-who-spat-on-his-car?s=09

Next anecdote please.

Clearly he wasn't beaten enough.

As an aside, I was once a guest at a pistol shooting club not long after the Hungerford incident and I heard someone saying, in all seriousness, that "liberals" were to blame as Ryan obviously hadn't been disciplined enough. The guy saying this had up to then seemed one of the more sensible ones as he'd not been whispering about holing up in a farm and shooting anyone who tried to take their land (after society collapsed, which they were evidently looking forward to)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Seems a bit light that sentence.
I think they must be accepting the broken mirror and the spitting as provocation. Personally I think the clear intent warrants more than a 'dangerous driving' charge but here we are.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I think they must be accepting the broken mirror and the spitting as provocation. Personally I think the clear intent warrants more than a 'dangerous driving' charge but here we are.
I suppose we must have to assume so, but I can't help but be surprised by the overall leniency of deliberately driving over someone. Bizarre

DRM

Guru
I suppose we must have to assume so, but I can't help but be surprised by the overall leniency of deliberately driving over someone. Bizarre
You and me both, that sentence absolutely beggars belief, he should be inside longer and have to pay huge compensation to the victim, would be a good lesson to other motorists too

Alex321

Veteran
You and me both, that sentence absolutely beggars belief, he should be inside longer and have to pay huge compensation to the victim, would be a good lesson to other motorists too

IMO, this should have been prosecuted as Assault causing GBH.

Which for the degree of harm caused and high culpability, would have been a starting point of 4-7 years. That would be reduced by a third for an early guilty plea, and there may have been some mitigating factors, but I would still have thought it should end up more than 2 years.

Slick

Guru
IMO, this should have been prosecuted as Assault causing GBH.

Which for the degree of harm caused and high culpability, would have been a starting point of 4-7 years. That would be reduced by a third for an early guilty plea, and there may have been some mitigating factors, but I would still have thought it should end up more than 2 years.
Seems the safest way to cause someone serious harm with minimum risk of being held to account is to use a vehicle.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom