Road rage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Think about the fact that many on here are 50+ in age.

Which means we were brought up in an age when physical chastisement was absolutely the norm. It would be a very unusual parent who didn't smack their child any time up to the 1980s and beyond. And most schools also. I still remember as a primary school child (age 10) getting a strap across the fingers when I misbehaved in class.

Nowadays, this is not acceptable, but it doesn't help the arguments to present all situations as the same, and reduce it to always being "violence" or "hitting children" whether it is what was then considered reasonable chastisement, or whether it is serious child abuse.
I wonder how much it was the norm.

It's always risky, I know, to extrapolate from our own experience to the general. I grew up in the fifties/sixties in a rural area where I saw and experienced almost no violence. I do remember two classmates saying their dads would take the belt to them and being shocked.

I guess there's no way of knowing at this distance, but my experience leads me to doubt how common it was generally.

60+ here, my parents never so much as slapped my leg. Any teacher who thought violence was an effective teaching method got shown the error of his ways.

boydj

Legendary Member
If you can't tell the difference between "violence" towards children, and a mild physical punishment (i.e. smacking) for bad behaviour, then we are in a worse mess than I thought we were. However, as per usual on CC - there is no middle ground. You support smacking and you are a violent, child abusing psychopath. You don't and you are a mamby-pamby, lily livered, lefty social worker. Which is why I can no longer be arsed getting involved in any such "discussions". See post #32.

Unfortunately a lot of people can't, and that's why smacking is illegal in Scotland - as I'm sure you know. Smacking is a failure in parenting.

simongt

Guru
On the school physical punishment theme. Caning by the Head was still in effect, mid sixties, for serious misdemeanours, but class teachers would still mete out physical punishment for some things. The worse was a student teacher who would give us fifty pages of 'Kidnapped' to read for homework followed by a twenty question test the following day. Anyone with less than a score of fifteen would get a plimsoll across the backside in front of the class for each question wrong under the magic number. :whistle:

winjim

Smash the cistern
On the school physical punishment theme. Caning by the Head was still in effect, mid sixties, for serious misdemeanours, but class teachers would still mete out physical punishment for some things. The worse was a student teacher who would give us fifty pages of 'Kidnapped' to read for homework followed by a twenty question test the following day. Anyone with less than a score of fifteen would get a plimsoll across the backside in front of the class for each question wrong under the magic number. :whistle:
Can we safely say that amongst your cohort there's never been so much as a hint of frustration at other peoples driving?

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Happy days
😉

Stephenite

Membå
@Moderators

Can we not permanently ban people who propose violence against children.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well I haven't actually seen anybody proposing it.

But even if they were, why should that be reason to ban them, rather than trying to change their views?
It's my prejudiced view, somewhat reinforced by this thread, that someone who would endorse the use or violence against children would probably not have their mind changed in a discussion on a cycling forum. However, that doesn't mean that those views shouldn't be robustly challenged, even if the response to such challenge, or lack of it, is rather predictable.

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Moderators

Can we not permanently ban people who propose violence against children.
As previously posted, no-one is proposing such a thing.
Can we not permanently ban people who twist words to suit their own agenda?
While we are at it, can we also ban those who are so intolerant of other people's views that they want them banned? :wacko:
After all, we only share a hobby/sport/mode of transport in that we all (mostly) cycle. It's highly unlikely that CC is ever going to be one big love-in for those of a particular political persuasion that we're not allowed to mention any more, and I for one certainly wouldn't want it to be that way.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't think the "intemperance" has worn off yet! :okay:

Top Bottom