Road ragers should wear helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

You're ignoring the facts man. At one point the poor bloke is upside down with only his bald patch touching the ground. In fact a helmet would have probably prevented the whole thing.

crazyjoe101

Who would have sent him a "victim support" letter, lost the footage down the sofa, and then written to him him three months later saying NFA. The police won't prosecute Michael Mason's killer, how likely is it they'll even put their croissants down for a close pass?
Yeah, it's always the police's fault... It couldn't possibly ever be to do with that little organisation known as the CPS.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can anyone provide an example of a time when chasing down a perceived bad driver and shouting at them has actually had the effect of them calmly and rationally debating the issue with the cyclist, reassessing and maybe improving their driving and their attitude?

'Cos surely that's the point, isn't it? ;)

Can anyone provide an example of a time when chasing down a perceived bad driver and shouting at them has actually had the effect of them calmly and rationally debating the issue with the cyclist, reassessing and maybe improving their driving and their attitude?

Yeah. Me. Years and years ago. Opened a car door when parked without looking. Cyclist got very very angry with me. Never did it again.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Yeah, it's always the police's fault... It couldn't possibly ever be to do with that little organisation known as the CPS.
In Michael Mason's case it didn't even get to the CPS, because the police office involved decided on his own initiative that driving straight into the back of a cyclist was not worth trying as careless driving. I'm sure the CPS are part of the problem, but they're certainly not the whole problem. Honestly, public shaming looks more and more like the nearest approximation we're going to get to road justice

crazyjoe101

I've never chased anyone down but I've lost my cool a couple of times and shouted and on one such occasion the driver stopped and apologised, as it turned out I was mostly to blame for him entering the roundabout next to me as I was caught out in the dark and I only had two small emergency lights and I was in dark, non-reflective clothes so I don't think he had much chance of seeing me, I'd started riding with daylight left and hadn't realised how dark it had got. As for people who do stupid stuff deliberately (close passes, running ambers/reds), I can't see a confrontation ever helping, and if it does, it can't outweigh the risk of meeting a nut case in my opinion.
[Speaking as someone with a helmet camera as it is relevant to this thread]
If someone does something truely bad, dangerous or aggressive, stay away from that driver because it's not someone you can have a nice chat with, read out the reg and report it to the police. If it is not serious enough to bother the police with, take a deep breath and just get over it, you can upload it and moan about it on YouTube later; there is really no need to chase after people and record your big brave protest against the driver. Currently when stragers sometimes ask me about my camera they have a positive reaction, but every time I watch one of these argument type videos all I can think is "I am in the same group as these people". I already look like an idiot with a camera on my head, I really don't need a stigma with it too.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

I have, though to be fair I didn't shout at him, I just pointed out why I had the road position I had and why his hand on his horn as he came by was stupid, he apologised straight away

winjim

Smash the cistern
If someone does something truely bad, dangerous or aggressive, stay away from that driver because it's not someone you can have a nice chat with, read out the reg and report it to the police. If it is not serious enough to bother the police with, take a deep breath and just get over it, you can upload it and moan about it on YouTube later; there is really no need to chase after people and record your big brave protest against the driver.
The trouble is, without the chase down and subsequent argument, footage of a close pass is pretty boring and will make for a dull YouTube channel. Cyclists such as the one in the OP need to escalate the situation in order to make for an interesting vid. In this case it seems to have paid off...

I totally agree with you, if it's bad enough to report then report it. No need to go looking for trouble.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Yes, I laughed at the end, probably like most people, but it's not a happy ending as the driver will now have an even greater hatred of cyclists and I wouldn't like to be the next cyclist he encounters. The cyclist taking the video will also be very apprehensive next time he goes out as I presume that he and the driver are local to each other.
So, all round, not a good outcome.

crazyjoe101

The trouble is, without the chase down and subsequent argument, footage of a close pass is pretty boring and will make for a dull YouTube channel. Cyclists such as the one in the OP need to escalate the situation in order to make for an interesting vid. In this case it seems to have paid off...

I totally agree with you, if it's bad enough to report then report it. No need to go looking for trouble.
Yes, I laughed at the end, probably like most people, but it's not a happy ending as the driver will now have an even greater hatred of cyclists and I wouldn't like to be the next cyclist he encounters. The cyclist taking the video will also be very apprehensive next time he goes out as I presume that he and the driver are local to each other.
So, all round, not a good outcome.
It's sad really because it only has the effect of distancing cyclists and drivers, especially when the vast majority of drivers don't have a problem with us or at least behave well around us.

400bhp

Guru
farking absolutely brilliant. I proper laughed out loud at the end.

Hillarious. I think after the initial catch up with the driver, the cyclist was fairly in control of the situation (the odd snigger thrown in).

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Great video, very entertaining..

Certainly some bad driving and a nutter driver - but I am not sure I would carry on provoking such an ignorant douchebag in these circumstances. Better to be right and alive than right & dead/injured !

People with the physique of Daddy Pig should not try chasing and kicking cyclists !

400bhp

Guru

Never shouting no.

Probably half a dozen times I have approached a driver and the outcome has been positive. That does not mean I have approached drivers just half a dozen times though.:whistle:

Wish I had filmed the one when I had a tug - o - war with a man bag and a driver of a convertible.:laugh:

Top Bottom