road safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee1980sim

If I'm keeping up with traffic then I'm out in the lane in front of the drivers where I'm most visible. I can't stand having a motorised vehicle to my right in the same lane so I make sure they can't go there. It only takes one to assume they've passed me and turn left to have me off.
That's the worst part I'm riding primary when they do it

andyfraser

Über Member
They're spot on. I get more grief from Volvo drivers than any other driver types put together. Good snot rocket targets are Volvos. Apparently :whistle:
The only time I was hit on a motorbike was by a Volvo. I was stationary at the time waiting for my turn to get onto a roundabout.

Much as I hate bigotry, stereotyping, and generalisations, I have to say that my subjective observations are that such vehicles are indeed driven poorly. As a general rule, a certain type of arrogant, sense of entitlement, pompous eskimo, has chosen to lease one of these cars, or even more stupidly, buy a used one.
I was delighted to read the other day that Mercedes & Audi were some of the most unreliable vehicles on the road.
Forgive me comrades, I must go and see if I can get the Moskovitch started.............
I own an Audi and a bmw. Look at the accidents rates and here for thr most dangerous. Maybe we're all excellent drivers who can handle drivibg fast without causing accidents, who knows.

Some US stats and not that current but gives you an idea as I doubt its changed that much.

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

Lma
Anyone who has only of those pointlessly loud exhaust fitted. (Usually a crap car) always think this is the grown up equivalent of kids fitting cards in there bike spokes. Always picture them saying "IM A RACING CAR
DRIVER!!!" As they go past... pathetic.
Lmao next time I see one of those that will be going through my mind

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

I'd also say anyone wearing a hat full stop in a car. A yoof, thug type or old duffer. Why does anyone need to wear a hat in an enclosed car!!??
I passed a taxi driver and he had a cowboy hat on lol

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

we get those in Manchester too, although I can remember only five or six (I think) that have caused me problems.

And by problems, I mean having to brake when I didn't expect to, or swerve slightly.

Not thinking "Oh my F****** God maybe this is how I die" in the way that I did when one of those Dublin Bus drivers decided to teach me a lesson. Or when an Evoque driver was too busy on his phone to bother giving way to me on a roundabout. Or any number of close passes, tailgating and idiocy from drivers that characterise a bike commute here.
I hate roundabouts I was hit by a woman as I was on the roundabout my endbar at the time broke her wing mirror lol on her nice new car, silly woman said she didn't see me in my hi-viz and front lights, two nights later a bmw came flying right across my path he never even looked when he was approaching, luckily I anticipated it and was able to stop before he made me an angel.

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

Oh can I play? Here's my list of the most dangerous cyclists:

1. Road bikes
2. Cyclists without helmets
3. Cyclists on hybrids with 2 panniers

Maybe, just maybe it's the person not the vehicle. Now please don't try and tell me that Audis/BMW are driven by a type considering the massive range they have appealing to very different markets.

Lumping groups of cars is like cyclists being blamed for other cyclists jumping red lights.

If you list those that are dangerous you are then assuming other's are safe. This is not sensible.
Just my experiance generally.

classic33

Leg End Member
You cycle across motorway slip roads ?!!!
As for the OP I don't really find any group worse than any other really and yes I'm sorry to say that includes some total d---heads on bicycles. Just assume everybody's a total idiot and you live tend to live longer [and don't get anywhere near so stressed out].
Used to go round this one twice a day.
J26 Chain Bar.jpg

S.Giles

There seems to be a certain kind of car that is often driven aggressively or too fast. The main culprits seem to be black Audi's, BMW's and those cheapo/older sporty hatchbacks which are usually driven by young males.

Note: Why is it that the plural of 'Audi' doesn't look right without a greengrocer's apostrophe? Even the spell-checker agrees.

Drago

Legendary Member
Maybe we're all excellent drivers who can handle drivibg fast without causing accidents, who knows.
No, I got that out my system at work, and in part due to the training I recognise my reactions aren't what they once were, and neither is my concentration. I'm happy to drive a slow vehicle, bimble around at a sensible pace and give myself the time and space to deal with any emergencies. I save a fortune - fuel, tyres, brakes, repayments on a shiny willy substitute, all of those costs pared right back. I suddenly just grew up ( at least with respect to driving).

And the best thing is my journeys take exactly as long as they always used to when I owned a 928, 750iL or Integrale.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I hate roundabouts I was hit by a woman as I was on the roundabout my endbar at the time broke her wing mirror lol on her nice new car, silly woman said she didn't see me in my hi-viz and front lights, two nights later a bmw came flying right across my path he never even looked when he was approaching, luckily I anticipated it and was able to stop before he made me an angel.
The nastiest off I ever had was caused by a driver who decided to enter a roundabout through my back wheel.

If she'd waited just a fraction of a second longer, it wouldn't have happened at all.

Top Bottom