road safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just about the only drivers I encounter doing stupid things on my rural roads are commercial van men. Car drivers are no problem, motorcyclists are great, HGV drivers are excellent. Most van drivers are OK but if someone's going to do a stupid overtake it'll be one of them. I guess they're delivering, under time pressure and haven't had the professional training the HGV driver has had.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I don't pay much attention to what people are driving; I barely know what I drive.

[Goes out to check. It's a Humvee. No wait, a Corolla. Anybody profiling me based on that will assume I'm practical but deeply unstylish. Hmmm...]

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

Just about the only drivers I encounter doing stupid things on my rural roads are commercial van men. Car drivers are no problem, motorcyclists are great, HGV drivers are excellent. Most van drivers are OK but if someone's going to do a stupid overtake it'll be one of them. I guess they're delivering, under time pressure and haven't had the professional training the HGV driver has had.
I've never had an issue with h.g.v drivers always patient .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The only one that's seriously worried me was a white Jag XF estate, who committed to overtake me despite oncoming traffic that was always going to make it impossible - fortunately I anticipated what was going to happen and had already got on my brakes before he stamped on his brakes and swerved back in.
Oh, and the bus driver who looked straight at me and still pulled out of a side road nearly having me through the windscreen - luckily there was nothing coming the other way and I was able to escape onto the opposite side of the road.
Statistically though I've more chance of being taken out by another cyclist. Twice I've had fellow cyclists pull out of side roads straight into my path. Both were older blokes on road bikes for what its worth - perhaps they weren't expecting the fat lad on a hybrid to be going so fast...

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

The only one that's seriously worried me was a white Jag XF estate, who committed to overtake me despite oncoming traffic that was always going to make it impossible - fortunately I anticipated what was going to happen and had already got on my brakes before he stamped on his brakes and swerved back in.
Oh, and the bus driver who looked straight at me and still pulled out of a side road nearly having me through the windscreen - luckily there was nothing coming the other way and I was able to escape onto the opposite side of the road.
Statistically though I've more chance of being taken out by another cyclist. Twice I've had fellow cyclists pull out of side roads straight into my path. Both were older blokes on road bikes for what its worth - perhaps they weren't expecting the fat lad on a hybrid to be going so fast...
Funnily enough I had a mountain biker ride straight out from a forest, I was able to swerve like you to the other side of the road, the idiot could have got both of us wiped out had there been a car coming either way. Sometimes I've considered giving it up, my wife is too young to be a widow, then I remember I get great joy out of cycling and just carry on, though I think thats probably how my demise will ultimately be.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ok they're not cars but ambulances can be a danger! The other week i was tootling along when an ambulance driver decided to put the 500(well it sounded like it) decibel siren on as he approached me from behind. I wobbled and could've fallen off. :thumbsdown:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
In my neck of the woods we have two bus companies whose drivers have only minimal knowledge of what mirrors do, or of spatial awareness. The Dudley's drivers are downright murderous, while the Aston's crews are starting to run them close. Rather disappointing, the latter, as they used to be much better a couple of years ago.

classic33

Leg End Member
1. Cabs (black or otherwise)
2. Any vehicle - but particularly Minis- driven by estate agents.
3. Anything with 4 rings on.
4. Minis.
5. Volvos - the older the driver the worse the driving, and if they're wearing a cap you're doomed.
"Local" traffic police still use volvos, and wear caps. Also used by FRU/FRP's. No caps though.

Top Bottom