road safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh can I play? Here's my list of the most dangerous cyclists:

1. Road bikes
2. Cyclists without helmets
3. Cyclists on hybrids with 2 panniers

Maybe, just maybe it's the person not the vehicle. Now please don't try and tell me that Audis/BMW are driven by a type considering the massive range they have appealing to very different markets.

Lumping groups of cars is like cyclists being blamed for other cyclists jumping red lights.

If you list those that are dangerous you are then assuming other's are safe. This is not sensible.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Lumping groups of cars is like cyclists being blamed for other cyclists jumping red lights.

If you list those that are dangerous you are then assuming other's are safe. This is not sensible.
Not quite how it works, at least not for me.

My list is a sort of "extra care needed" flag - I'm still paying attention to all the traffic, because, god knows, the standard struggles to average at "poor" most days, but the list is the ones from whom I can, reasonably reliably, expect additional shenanigans.

And cyclists/drivers is a false equivalence. The threat posed, and the numbers present don't match up at all.

Just ime, like.

Not quite how it works, at least not for me.

My list is a sort of "extra care needed" flag - I'm still paying attention to all the traffic, because, god knows, the standard struggles to average at "poor" most days, but the list is the ones from whom I can, reasonably reliably, expect additional shenanigans.

And cyclists/drivers is a false equivalence. The threat posed, and the numbers present don't match up at all.

Just ime, like.
In the London scrum I feel I'm more likely to be knocked off by a crappy cyclist undertaking than cars which barely move.

andyfraser

Über Member
You cycle across motorway slip roads ?!!!
There's a route that I take quite a lot that takes me across just before the west bound slip road of M4 J16. It's a large traffic light controlled roundabout that actually feels safer than the smaller non-controlled ones in town. When I get a green light I just cycle to the next set of lights and then off on to the main road into town.

User269

Down here it old guys wearing flat caps and hearing aids driving small hatchbacks at 23mph totally oblivious to everything around them till wifey riding shotgun elbows them to wake them up give me boy racers any day
These are the same drivers who go up Portesham Hill, without changing gear or stepping on the gas, until finally slowing to 5mph, grinding to a halt and selecting another gear.

andyfraser

Über Member
OK my worst one is...funeral processions, they drive just at or just under a steady cycling pace meaning everyone gets backed up and despite me travelling at the same speed as the traffic cars try to pass or ride along side of me so when somethings coming the other way they try to push me to the kerb
If I'm keeping up with traffic then I'm out in the lane in front of the drivers where I'm most visible. I can't stand having a motorised vehicle to my right in the same lane so I make sure they can't go there. It only takes one to assume they've passed me and turn left to have me off.

User269

Now please don't try and tell me that Audis/BMW are driven by a type considering the massive range they.................

Much as I hate bigotry, stereotyping, and generalisations, I have to say that my subjective observations are that such vehicles are indeed driven poorly. As a general rule, a certain type of arrogant, sense of entitlement, pompous eskimo, has chosen to lease one of these cars, or even more stupidly, buy a used one.
I was delighted to read the other day that Mercedes & Audi were some of the most unreliable vehicles on the road.
Forgive me comrades, I must go and see if I can get the Moskovitch started.............

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
BMWs aren't driven much worse than anything else, currently, on my route at least.

Audis are so frequently driven appallingly that seeing one driven well is cause for surprise/comment.

Top Bottom