Road Shoes - Rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

Can anyone recommend SPD-SL road shoes that don't take in water in the wet weather. My current shoes have mesh bits on the sides and the bottom which are not good in the rain - spray comes up from the road, even with overshoes on. Are there any shoes that are watertight?

Thanks in advance

J

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In short. No.

No shoes are watertight.
You can get winter boots from the likes of Specialized, Northwave and Shimano which do not have mesh.
But you have a problem with holes. Holes where your feet go in to the shoes and holes where you attach cleats.

You can keep your (wet) feet warm, however you can't keep your feet dry.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If keeping most of the rain/water out is important to you/your feet, 'winter boots' as @ianrauk has said. If the weather is bad I will wear neoprene overboots over them - for warmth as well as enhanced water resistance.
A combination of shoes and overboots is not bad, but most if not all road shoes have 'vent holes' in their soles. I tape these up in winter or fill the holes with sealant.
Oh, and mudguards (as @Bazzer has suggested).

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
I don't use cleats , so there's no holes.
Specialized Cadet shoes aren't too bad in the rain , and I think are great for the money . ( around £25 on Amazon )

Drago

Legendary Member
When it's time to replace my road shoes I take the old pair while there is still some life left in them, and rub clear silicone sealant into the mesh. Voila - the older shoes have a new lease of life as waterproof bad weather jobs.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Are there any shoes that are watertight?
J

No. Tape over the cleat holes from the inside. Over shoes. Waterproof socks I find especially good for being warm and wet - ALDI do good ones but there are loads around. Sometimes I put my feet in freezer bags and tie a knot round the top but only when wearing overshoes. If it’s wet enough the water eventually runs down the leg in to the shoe!!

Keeping water out is a continuous losing battle............as evidenced by my garage roof.:angry:

22366339_128630134462688_7281970793810375684_n.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sealskin socks will keep you much dryer.tho sweat will make your feet damp.
The shoe will take in water as said.
But do try the socks as they do work well.
Down side is the price of them

Top Bottom