Road style brake levers on track handle bars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buzzinonbikes

Hello everyone.

So I recently got a Specialized Langster Steel (which I am loving) but my only gripe is that the bars are super uncomfortable for me as they are the shorter-width style track bars. I think my main discomfort is that I have large hands coupled with the fact that they have no long flat part in the middle to hold, or a particularly wide sat-up position whilst on top of the drops. For me to ride at the minute with quick access to the brakes (short brake levers like these) my hands are very close and inverted.

So I think a cheap solution would be rather than buying new bars, would be to buy some brake levers with hoods to rest on. Would this work? How do the levers attach to the bars? because at the minute they have a hoop the clamps onto the bars. Screws? Any recommendations?

Hope you know what I mean?

Thanks

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I had the same problem as you. Ive used aero style brake levers on the ends of the drops, with a very comfortable result; a bit like the pic on this thread http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/single-speed-brake-levers.93408/

You can easily replace your levers with road style levers, but you will need to replace your cables and get the tape re-done, which shouldn't be too much of a fap to do yourself. The brakes have a concaled clamp to attach them to the bar; they are attached directly to the bare bar, so cannot be mounted over existing grip tap.

OP
OP
Buzzinonbikes

Buzzinonbikes

Thanks very much chaps! New road style levers in the traditional position seems to be the best approach for me then. The ones in that pic look interesting. I don't really spend too much time on the drops what with most of my ride weaving through traffic and avoiding buses in Manchester.
Thanks again!

Top Bottom