"Road Tax"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The source is the Department for Transport who looked at average costs. It effectively proves that gfor the average motorist the cost of their motoring is effectively less than 85% of the 1997 cost!

Transport%20costs_1.JPG

As for my savings -

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
WARNING
I will be using the phrase 'road tax'; dear reader, you can do one of two things - learn to live with it or insert your own phrase!
I have always thought that scrapping rod tax on vehicles and increasing fuel prices was a good idea but there is a 'but' and it is a big one!
Most goods are now shipped by road. If road tax were to be scrapped and fuel increased, the haulage industry may 'forget' that they do not pay road tax and only look at the increased fuel bill. Their costs have gone up so they increase their charges and who will pay for those increases? No not the retail industry but you the consumer!
What are the options? Private vehicles don't pay it but HGVs do? Rebates for haulage and bus companies if the extra fuel bill exceeds the cost of their old road tax? It will be a nightmare to sort out.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you must use the expression, use quotes, as you have in your first usage. I will use the CORRECT term - 'VED', or 'car tax', or 'vehicle tax'. As used by the DVLA.

Bicycle

Well, I have to accept the graphics.

Posters on this forum frequently bang on about things and then go schtum when their word is refuted with any authority or data.

I don't like that, although I don't like the taste of humble pie either.

I can only add that the data do not reflect my situation or my wife's - and we run fairly modest family cars.

In your graphic, the green (DI) almost tracks the blue (VRC). I do accept that as a national figure, but in our family VRC has outstipped DI (and done so as a non-DI-related cost in real terms) over both 15 and 20 years.

I was self-employed for some time and still keep my running costs on a sheet of squared paper, even adding depreciation after sale. I am very sad, but it is quite interesting.

Nonetheless, humble pie now being eaten, along with my hat. :sad:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The source is the Department for Transport who looked at average costs. It effectively proves that gfor the average motorist the cost of their motoring is effectively less than 85% of the 1997 cost!

Transport%20costs_1.JPG

As for my savings -

That's great - do you have a link to the source?

You do need to be careful with the "cost of motoring" though.
If you look at the RAC for instance they claim that:

• The cost of running a car increased to £94 from £65 a month
  • The real cost of buying a new car increased to £498 from £277 a month
  • The cost of petrol increased to 117.9p a litre from 38p
  • The cost of diesel increased to 130.9pper litre from 38.4p
So yes the "cost" has risen dramatically, but so has everything else, and it is the comparison that is important.

The same report bythe RAC then goes on to state that comparing their own figures from 2008 and 1988:

The total cost of motoring since 1988 is well behind the overall increase in the cost of living:
The RAC analysis also looked at buying a car, running a car and the cost of fuel in turn, and found that, in real terms, compared with 1988:
  • It is 24% cheaper to buy a car
  • It is 57% cheaper to run a car
  • But it costs more than twice as much to fill it up

THeir conclusion illustrates the real issue though:

The analysis for the 20th RAC Report on Motoring shows that although our perception and reality differ over the 20 years, on a day to day basis the spiralling cost of fuel makes us feel that the costs of motoring have increased significantly.
(My emphasis)

The chasm between conception and reality is the big issue!

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I had a little chat with a woman at some traffic lights who had passed me way too close. It went like this:

Me stopping at lights: You were a bit close to me then.
Her: Well there is a million pound cycle path there which has been paid for by cycle tax.
Me: What do you mean cycle tax?
Her: You should be on the path which has been paid for.
Me: I dont have to use it.
Her: Well you should use it.
Me: I dont have to use it, I am allowed on the road. It is up to you to overtake me safely.
(The lights change and we start moving)
Her: You need to use your brain.
Me: I dont need to use my brain, you need to use your brain and overtake me safely! Learn to drive you stupid *Expletive removed*.

I wont bother posting the vid because there isnt much in it.

subaqua

What’s the point
I had my first road taxer today some genetic retard from East london pointing at his disc. i did the old halfpast six and then turn left at the chicken line which just left him looking even more confused than he did.

Bicycle

1695557 said:
Are you sure he wasn't just asking you to check that it was valid for him?

It is more likely that he was trying to point out that as a motorist, he paid Road Tax. A serious-minded motorist will be aware of when his Road tax expires and will usually re-Tax his car in good time.

How can I possibly know this?

I pay road Tax, of course!

:wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
£20 to the first person on here that can get a UK "Road Tax" form & get it completed.

VED Form will not do.
Form must clearly state Road Tax & make no mention of VED. Either in the form Title, subtitle or on the form itself. The exception on not mentioning VED being unless it referes to a seperate form to the one you are filling in.

To claim the £20, the following is required as proof
Copies of the front & rear of the completed, accepted form, & a Road Tax disc. Which must clearly state "Road Tax".

Anyone up for it? Time limit on this is two weeks from the 26th January 2012. (Just in case this gets reopened at a later date).

Top Bottom