"Road Tax"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
£20 to the first person on here that can get a UK "Road Tax" form & get it completed.....
Are you trying to be silly? I will ask you a question. You are in desperate need of cash, you have none, no food for a few days. Yoe see me, only know me as a friend of a friend type of thing. You tell me of your situation and I put my hand in my pocket and say "I'll give you a few bob." Would you accept or would you say there we do not use 'bob' any more?

classic33

Leg End Member
Are you trying to be silly? I will ask you a question. You are in desperate need of cash, you have none, no food for a few days. Yoe see me, only know me as a friend of a friend type of thing. You tell me of your situation and I put my hand in my pocket and say "I'll give you a few bob." Would you accept or would you say there we do not use 'bob' any more?

Is that you saying that we don't have "Road Tax"? And no I'm not being silly.

If you are that confident that you can claim the £20 why not put your money where your mouth is & double it to £40.
Round this neck 'woods we use it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/voices2005/glossary/glossary.shtml

http://www.yorkshire-dialect.org/humour/yorkshire_humour.htm

Got change for this by any chance
Nine Bob Note.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There isn't too much confusion about 'a few bob' although very few young people know that it is/was a slang term for a shilling, and not money in general. On the other hand there is obviously still a lot of confusion about "road tax". OK, "road tax" is a slang term for VED or car tax - the problem is the implication that the 'few bob' collected is spent specifically on roads, and that only those who pay it are entitled to use those roads, which, as we should all know by now, it is not, etc etc etc. Language can and does change, some expressions fall out of use, or become unacceptable.

Top Bottom