Road tyres for MTB and saddle position?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
25-37mm wide tyres, or their inch equiv.1"- 1.5 but no reason you cant go wider. I use Big Apple 1.9 on similar size rims.

When setting saddle posiotion, use the order of adjustment
Pedals
Saddle
Bars.
Dont adjust saddle to set the correct reach to bars. Replace the stem.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

No plans to go off road really, perhaps gravel cycle path on occasion but mainly road.

Saw another one today, the Lifeline Essential Commuter seems to have decent reviews and is cheap as chips to, I could get a pair for less then the cost of a single Schwarbe Marathon Supreme.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-commuter-26-tyre
I'm sure it's not as good as the Schwarbe but are they good enough?

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I like the look and idea of the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HD but am unsure if there is enough tread/grip for winter?
The Supremes are fairly fast, and fine on stuff other than snow/ice, wet grass, heaps of half rotted dead leaves, and mud thick enough that the tyre doesn't press through to rocks underneath.
Hopefully most of that should be fairly uncommon on roads & cycle tracks.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, they do seem to get universally good reviews but I can't help wondering if I'd be paying too much for tyres on a winter/tide me over bike and would be better getting something decent but cheaper and putting better tyres on my road bike next year?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, they do seem to get universally good reviews but I can't help wondering if I'd be paying too much for tyres on a winter/tide me over bike and would be better getting something decent but cheaper and putting better tyres on my road bike next year?
They'll be fine for the summer too. Cheap tyres can wear quickly and puncture more easily as well (especially as they wear), so depends if you want to deal with more punctures potentially in the winter? You get what you pay for in most cases. It's your choice and money of course

Spa often have good prices on Schwalbe tyres - have you checked?

This is truly one of those things where, if you use the bike regualrly, it will be worth the money. Get the Schwalbes. I've used nothing but fairly moderate-protection Schwalbes since 2001, and have had two punctures. I don't do massive miles, mind, but I'd not buy anything else. Plainly there are other good tyres than Schwalbe too, I've just not used any.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, it's going to cost me around £70 for a pair of Supremes. I don't doubt they are good but I am not sure if I will notice the difference between them and say a pair of Marathon GreenGuards?
A pair of GreenGuards can be had for just over the price of a single Supreme.
As an old 'spare' bike to keep me going until I get a road bike next year £70 seems a little disproportionate but, that said, if I would really notice the difference and find the Supremes notably easier to get going and faster then I'd invest in them. If the noticeable difference to someone like me (newby) is negligible then I'd pass and buy the GreeGuards or something else cheaper.

Thanks, it's going to cost me around £70 for a pair of Supremes. I don't doubt they are good but I am not sure if I will notice the difference between them and say a pair of Marathon GreenGuards?
A pair of GreenGuards can be had for just over the price of a single Supreme.
As an old 'spare' bike to keep me going until I get a road bike next year £70 seems a little disproportionate but, that said, if I would really notice the difference and find the Supremes notably easier to get going and faster then I'd invest in them. If the noticeable difference to someone like me (newby) is negligible then I'd pass and buy the GreeGuards or something else cheaper.
Make sense to me.

559x17 (rim) or 37x559 (tyre). The numbers are dimensions in millimetres.

Can I ask, where is the link between the 559x17 rim and the 37x559 tyre? I cant get my head around how the numbers relate to each other? The 559 is obviously the same but not the 17 and 37.
Sorry but numbers just aren't my thing.
17mm is the width of the aluminium rim.
37mm is the nominal width of the inflated tyre.
Every rim can take a range of tyre widths. If the tyre is too narrow or wide it wont seat well and may not hold well when taking corners. When the tyre is seated, the tyre profile is round and should be wider than the rim

Experience tells us the min and max tyre width. Sometimes these are on the rim label. Online gurus such as Sheldon Brown have tabulated these for reference.

Tyre width is nominal and may not refer to any measurable dimension. Some brands are wider or narrower.

Tyre choice makes a big difference to performance. Marathon Green Guard is your benchmark commuter/everyday riding tyre. Supreme has a slicker profile and more flexible sidewall for reduced drag and quicker cycling. FYI the Marathon Plus is a heavier duty, slower commuter tyre with added protection, for people who cant deal with roadside repairs.

vickster

Legendary Member
For me comfort and speed are dependent as much on road surface as tyre cost. Tyre width improves comfort on rough surfaces but potentially at the expense of (perceived if not actual) speed. What are the roads like around you?
In winter you’d be advised to slow down anyhow due to slippery surfaces and dark roads with hidden potholes/imperfections

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

OK so what about the 'Durameter rating i.e. 60a vs 70a?
The only tyre I can find that states this is the Lifeline essential Commuter which states 70a.
Apparently the lower the number the softer the compound and the better the grip at a slight cost of durability.
I can find nothing that states the rating on the Schwarbe tyres although i suspect the Supreme is on the softer side but the Greenguard may be harder?
Schwarbe say they use the 'Endurance' compound on their Greenguard tyres but did not know what this equated to in terms of the universal Duameter rating as in either 60a or 70a etc?

vickster

Legendary Member
Absolutely no idea, never heard of such a thing...maybe you're overthinking this somewhat for a £40 pair of tyres (they all wear out eventually)?

Top Bottom