Road World Championship 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Okay, so who's going to win? Will it be a successful defence by Cadel Evans? Will it come down to a sprint between Griepel, Cavendish and Farrar? Or will it be one of the current form all-rounders like Gilbert?

My money is on Gilbert... but what do you think?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think it may be too tough for CAv with a small team and the apparent uphill finish.
Maybe Hushovd if it comes to an uphill sprint or Sammy Sanchez or someone else!

raindog

er.....
Not certain this suits Gilbert. He's being touted as favourite and it's true there's a hill near the end but it's not at the end. In fact there might even be enough of a run-in for a broken peloton to re-form. If he's feeling good on the day, I reckon Evan's could well do it. Has anyone been world road champ two years running before?

Pleasant vid here of some local riders doing the circuit - that last hill has a kick at the top all right.
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/01/2010-world-championship-course-geelong-australia/

Ball

Will any of it be on Freeview or will it only be on Eurosports?

Just Eurosport I imagine! If you wanna stream online try myp2p.eu.

Would love to see Gerrans put in a good performance after such a poor year. Very interesting to see the course, it's nowhere near as hilly as I thought, although I still believe that after 11 circuits people like Cav just won't be in contention. Sooo, Gilbert, Evans, Nibali?!

Ball

Just Eurosport I imagine! If you wanna stream online try myp2p.eu.

Would love to see Gerrans put in a good performance after such a poor year. Very interesting to see the course, it's nowhere near as hilly as I thought, although I still believe that after 11 circuits people like Cav just won't be in contention. Sooo, Gilbert, Evans, Nibali?!

Actually I'm not sure I'll count Farrar out that easily after his great show in the sprint into Toledo last week in the Vuelta.

raindog

er.....
Actually I'm not sure I'll count Farrar out that easily after his great show in the sprint into Toledo last week in the Vuelta.
Not to take anything away from Farrar - he's a great sprinter - but I think Cav would've taken that without his buckled wheel.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Not to take anything away from Farrar - he's a great sprinter - but I think Cav would've taken that without his buckled wheel.

Different day RD. The one that Gilbert won up the slope and Farrar almost got to him on his left. Cav was back in 15th I think.

Stange

Different day RD. The one that Gilbert won up the slope and Farrar almost got to him on his left. Cav was back in 15th I think.
Maybe if it's too hard for Cav, Millar will go for one of his breaks, you never know, might work (for once).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cheers RD, that's interesting listening to Robbie and makes me think it won't be a pure sprinter that wins. I don't think it'll suit Cav with that uphill 700m drag at the finish though. It looks tough enough for a good climber or strong man to try and get away on the last 2 hills. 22% is a serious climb after 2km of 10-13%.
He also said that they'd hit 90-100kph after the ascents - blimey!
It was obviously filmed some time ago with the Kirchen and Armstrong references.

The winner? No idea - Evans maybe!

Top Bottom