Roadies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
Managed to get a nice 36 mile ride in this morning, a circular route including parts of NCN14 and NCN7, passing close to a couple of fairly urban areas. It was a pleasant and sunny morning and virtually every person I met responded to a "Good Morning", be they walkers, horse riders, joggers, buggy pushers, dog walkers, other MTBr's and other cyclists including a guy in his work overalls and an elderly lady with her shopping bags on her bars :biggrin:

I managed to avoid all but a couple of short road sections, but while on them, I and acknowledged two seperate road bike riders.....
..... and didn't get so much as a slight nod from either of them :whistle:

What's that all about then ?

BSRU

A Human Being
Bike snobs, or just lacking social interaction skills.

yello

They were concentrating on their form and fitness, and looking the part. You just can't talk o say something as common as hello.

If you looked very closely, you might have seen the merest twitch of an eyebrow. It's all you'll get. Serious stuff this being a committed roadie. ;)

deaksie

happens a lot more often than it should. I have shamed some local riders into speaking to me by always saying a chirpy "hello". After they ignore me a few times they realise they are just looking pathetic!

I believe there's a whole load of criteria around this:
road bikers see everyone else as beneath them and never speak
some mtb's only speak to mtbs
in some parts it's universally acknowledged that if you're not riding clipless you're beyond contempt and no-one speaks to you

Personally, I speak to everyone in the same manner, I don't care if theyre out for a stroll, riding casually to the nearest pub or on a 100miler. who cares? we're all human beings

by the same token, if I see someone at the side of the road, I always slow down and offer help - you'd be amazed how many riders will just go straight past pretending they've not even seen a problem

it sucks, but human nature I suppose. Not everyone can be as friendly as us!
biggrin.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Give it a rest - plenty of ignoant folk about. I've said hello to countless MTB'ers when out on my road bike, and got ignored.

I've even been ignored out on the road bike by other roadies - some just don't let on.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here we go again, this old chestnut rears it's head once again.

So what if cyclists don't say hi back. Who cares? Really? Does it ruin your day that much?

Sometimes I can't be arsed to say hi or acknowledge a hi.
It really isn't important.

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member
So what if cyclists don't say hi back. Who cares? Really? Does it ruin your day that much?

Sometimes I can't be arsed to say hi or acknowledge a hi.
It really isn't important.

I suppose in the grander scheme of things, its not so important - Its probably just a weakness of mine.... being polite ;)

I think it's just down to the person - I see ignorant people on MTB's, hybrids and road bikes on my commute in. Some nod their head, others speak - the worst just pretend to be "in the zone" and totally blank me. Oddly enough the friendliest person I see nearly every day is a roadie!!

Managed to get a nice 36 mile ride in this morning, a circular route including parts of NCN14 and NCN7, passing close to a couple of fairly urban areas. It was a pleasant and sunny morning and virtually every person I met responded to a "Good Morning", be they walkers, horse riders, joggers, buggy pushers, dog walkers, other MTBr's and other cyclists including a guy in his work overalls and an elderly lady with her shopping bags on her bars :biggrin:

I managed to avoid all but a couple of short road sections, but while on them, I and acknowledged two seperate road bike riders.....
..... and didn't get so much as a slight nod from either of them :whistle:

What's that all about then ?

Put it down to jealousy. Us mountainbikers are rugged, muscular, handsome chaps, oozing testosterone out of every pore, at our happiest when splattered in mud.

Roadies on the other hand ...........

Only teasing ;)

ohnovino

Large Member
It seems to be age-related around here. The old guys will give a clear shout of "Good Morning", the middle-aged mumble a little "hello", and the younger riders give a small nod or just ignore everyone.

The bike they choose to ride doesn't seem to make much difference.

Top Bottom