Roadies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calibanzwei

I end up looking like a sweaty, wind swept loon by the end of my circuits - no wonder nobody acknowledges me (or cycles just that wee bit faster :biggrin: )

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Had a ride with Banjo yesterday. As he is a roadie he obviously didn't speak to me the entire 70 miles and communicated my the subtle raising of eyebrows. Oh wait, no that is bullshit.

Yes there are knobs in both camps but MTB'ers and Roadies can get on :smile:

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member
Yes there are knobs in both camps but MTB'ers and Roadies can get on :smile:

Couldn't agree more, in fact one of my best buds is a Roadie and is far too fit for me to cycle with him. He's just done that Northern Rock 100 mile ? at the weekend and I was shagged after a gentle 36 yesterday.

We do kayak and hill walk though...... and we speak to each other :biggrin:

Couldn't agree more, in fact one of my best buds is a Roadie and is far too fit for me to cycle with him. He's just done that Northern Rock 100 mile ? at the weekend and I was shagged after a gentle 36 yesterday.

We do kayak and hill walk though...... and we speak to each other :biggrin:

Don't get me started on kayakers, when I'm in my canoe none of them will give me the time of day.

brockers

It seems to be age-related around here. The old guys will give a clear shout of "Good Morning", the middle-aged mumble a little "hello", and the younger riders give a small nod or just ignore everyone.

I'd agree with that. It does seem to be an age thing as much as anything. The old boys and girls are generally the most likely to be friendly. The youngsters mind, and those on their first expensive bike (I reckon I can tell), are far more up themselves.

aoj

Put it down to jealousy. Us mountainbikers are rugged, muscular, handsome chaps, oozing testosterone out of every pore, at our happiest when splattered in mud.

Roadies on the other hand ...........

Only teasing ;)

Your not wrong you know.....They shave their legs!
rolleyes.gif

jethro10

Über Member
On balance, while on our country lanes, everyone says hello except the majority of road bikers.

I had a cheap run down Halfords Carrera Vulcan and the percentage of roadies that said hello was about 10%
I built a hartail MTB for about £2K and it looks it, now the percentage of roadies saying hello is about 40%
Whichever bike, most other people pass the time of day - it makes for a nice pleasant sunday out!

As for roadies, my results arn't scientific, but they do seem snobbish.

As an aside, we go off road a lot, over hills, rough terrain, great views, and a variety of skills and techniques are used. We have a great laugh.
The wife calls roadies folk that wont have a go - just stay on the simple bloody tarmac...... well she amuses me.

Strange breed pure road bike riders.

Jeff

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I cycled into town yesterday afternoon as the commuters were coming home and they all smiled or whatever, whether roadies or MTBs or Young Things ... all except one bloke with trouser clips on a folding Brompton style bike. I don't know what that says about trouser clips but he was the only one wearing them ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
It is usually the younger riders who don't acknowledge, roadie or MTB. I was on top of High Street a few years ago on the MTB and I passed a yoof on an MTB in deliberately casual trainers and flappy jeans who ignored my greeting completely. I met him later in the day and got the opportunity to tell him how rude I thought he was.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
OOI How did he take that?
It is usually the younger riders who don't acknowledge, roadie or MTB. I was on top of High Street a few years ago on the MTB and I passed a yoof on an MTB in deliberately casual trainers and flappy jeans who ignored my greeting completely. I met him later in the day and got the opportunity to tell him how rude I thought he was.

C

chillyuk

It's not only roadies. I was scalped by two guys this morning, both on MTB's, both in all the gear. I was on my hybrid. Neither acknowledged my existance. Why should they be expected to. They were doing their ride and I was doing mine.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Maybe their glasses were so mud covered they couldn't see you :whistle: After al we are all supposed to be scruffs :laugh:
It's not only roadies. I was scalped by two guys this morning, both on MTB's, both in all the gear. I was on my hybrid. Neither acknowledged my existance. Why should they be expected to. They were doing their ride and I was doing mine.

Top Bottom