Roadies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

...and here was me thinking it was a joke, a bit of harmless playing with a stereotype. I'll have to double the number of smileys I use in future.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I ride a road bike, but for leisure only. I passed a chain gang club outing the other evening (traveling in the opposite direction), out of 20+ riders I got half a nod from the guy in last place.

When you pass a CTC group they all say hello :smile:

Managed to get a nice 36 mile ride in this morning, a circular route including parts of NCN14 and NCN7, passing close to a couple of fairly urban areas. It was a pleasant and sunny morning and virtually every person I met responded to a "Good Morning", be they walkers, horse riders, joggers, buggy pushers, dog walkers, other MTBr's and other cyclists including a guy in his work overalls and an elderly lady with her shopping bags on her bars :biggrin:

I managed to avoid all but a couple of short road sections, but while on them, I and acknowledged two seperate road bike riders.....
..... and didn't get so much as a slight nod from either of them :whistle:

What's that all about then ?

Total opposite for me, only the "roadies" say anything - mtbers, bsoers in work boots etc all just stare at me. Sometimes I don't even say hello, but one day this person might be you and will end up starting a thread like this ;)

deaksie

for the record, I'm an MTB and I shave my legs.
biggrin.gif

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cosmicned..... don't ever let anyone say they're underbiked for the conditions again...... ust remind me why people ask which suspension forks for towpaths!!!!!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just don't forget to wave and nod to yourself every so often....

GrasB

Veteran
Cosmicned..... don't ever let anyone say they're underbiked for the conditions again......
Thing is though the more accomplished you are with a skill set the more you can work around the incorrect tools.

The definition of "it's not the bike it's the rider!!!!!"
I completely agree. Sure a skilled rider can do that kind of thing on a road bike but a less skilled rider simply won't be able to pull the same things off on the road bike even if they can do it on an MTB. 7 years ago I was tip-toeing down a particular bridle way at 5-10mph on hybrid with decent cross tyres having put my foot down on the deeper gravel/slate filled ruts. Today along the same bridle way on skinny road tyres I'm riding it at 10-20mph without much thought, floating the bike over the lumps, bumps & ruts. Contrast that to my MTB with semi-slicks where I'm doing 15-30mph over the same route.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thing is though the more accomplished you are with a skill set the more you can work around the incorrect tools.

I completely agree. Sure a skilled rider can do that kind of thing on a road bike but a less skilled rider simply won't be able to pull the same things off on the road bike even if they can do it on an MTB. 7 years ago I was tip-toeing down a particular bridle way at 5-10mph on hybrid with decent cross tyres having put my foot down on the deeper gravel/slate filled ruts. Today along the same bridle way on skinny road tyres I'm riding it at 10-20mph without much thought, floating the bike over the lumps, bumps & ruts. Contrast that to my MTB with semi-slicks where I'm doing 15-30mph over the same route.

I guess somebody like Chris Hoy could beat just about anyone of club level around a track on whatever bike you gave him. I remember when I was attempting to learn to play golf that if you gave Tiger Woods a putter he would beat any 9 hole course player hands down.

avalon

Guru
It's exactly the same here on the other side of the world. I ride several different types of bike and have just added a unicycle to my stable. It will be interesting to see how other cyclists respond to me on that.

Top Bottom