Roadies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Managed to get a nice 36 mile ride in this morning, a circular route including parts of NCN14 and NCN7, passing close to a couple of fairly urban areas. It was a pleasant and sunny morning and virtually every person I met responded to a "Good Morning", be they walkers, horse riders, joggers, buggy pushers, dog walkers, other MTBr's and other cyclists including a guy in his work overalls and an elderly lady with her shopping bags on her bars :biggrin:

I managed to avoid all but a couple of short road sections, but while on them, I and acknowledged two seperate road bike riders.....
..... and didn't get so much as a slight nod from either of them :whistle:

What's that all about then ?

Having just completed my first Road Bike ride I think I understand this. It "seems" as though riding a road bike takes far more concentration than riding a MTB. I can easily wave when I am on the MTB but I was loath to do any more than indicate when on the road bike. Also the average speed is faster so thinking time is reduced. Or maybe I just have a lot to learn :smile:

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member
Having just completed my first Road Bike ride I think I understand this. It "seems" as though riding a road bike takes far more concentration than riding a MTB. I can easily wave when I am on the MTB but I was loath to do any more than indicate when on the road bike. Also the average speed is faster so thinking time is reduced. Or maybe I just have a lot to learn :smile:

That actually makes a bit of sense and although I don't road bike (yet) :whistle:, when I think back to my early MTB days, thrashing down techie single tracks at speed, the concentration was at times solely focussed on the track and not on passing pleasantries.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
That actually makes a bit of sense and although I don't road bike (yet) :whistle:, when I think back to my early MTB days, thrashing down techie single tracks at speed, the concentration was at times solely focussed on the track and not on passing pleasantries.

OMG I made sense in a post :tongue:. I guess it is like single track in that respect. You need greater time to brake, the bike is twitchier and your view of the world is often most road than it would be on a MTB.

henshaw11

It's exactly the same here on the other side of the world. I ride several different types of bike and have just added a unicycle to my stable. It will be interesting to see how other cyclists respond to me on that.

When I used to ride one (mebbe a mile, and a half mile at each end of my train journey) it seemed to be a hit with 18 yr old girls...but rather a pity it was also about 18 years too late !

Re roadies...on a recumbent everyone looks at you a bit funny ;) - but I tend to get quite few nods from roadies - tho' it seems to be more from older roadies, generally..

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
When I used to ride one (mebbe a mile, and a half mile at each end of my train journey) it seemed to be a hit with 18 yr old girls...but rather a pity it was also about 18 years too late !

Re roadies...on a recumbent everyone looks at you a bit funny ;) - but I tend to get quite few nods from roadies - tho' it seems to be more from older roadies, generally..

I have never seen on in the flesh. I think I would stare a bit as well :smile:

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Yea - what is wrong with a triple. :tongue:

I bet you are an ignorant twonk on a compact right? ;)

Nope I ride a Specialized Allez 24 and I nod at all cyclists I see or pass.

GrasB

Veteran
Can we kill this anti-compact & anti-triple BS. I ride on doubles exclusively, not because I think triples are cr*p but because after many 1000s of cycling miles on triples, doubles & compacts I've found that 2 wide set chainrings I the better option for me.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Are you wearing a helmet in your avatar DrSquirrel?
icon_twisted.gif

Top Bottom