Roads That Wreck Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eighth Man

Just checking my tyres and noticed that my back wheel (Mavic Rims) has a massive dent in the rim and has split. I assume I have hit a bump causing the damage, I do not know how it has happened as I check my tyres are up to 120 psi twice a week, and avoid pot holes at all cost. It is getting expensive this year that is a set of tyres, a new spoke and it looks like a new back wheel.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have you lent the bike to anybody?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's something odd going on there - I don't think you could have a rim-shattering bump and not notice it!

I hit a large piece of timber at 25 mph once and got snakebite punctures front and rear. I hit the wood really hard but I still didn't damage my wheels.

Is the rim really dented inwards or has the rim split and then bulged outwards?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Pot holes are not that bad as you can see them in the distance and bypass them.

I find the horizontal U-shaped road undulations worse - where some new cable / pipe has been laid and the road looks smooth at a distance, but you hit the trough of the U at full speed.

Cyclist33

Perhaps your pressure is a little too high? I can only otherwise think there was a defect a long time coming inherent in the rim but if you're getting several wheel related issues... I dunno. That amount of air inside, perhaps it is offering too little spring and passing shock through to the wheel.

ColinJ

The Eighth Man said:
The rim has split and bulged outwards, but no puncture
Ah ah!

If a rim is worn very thin then the pressure of the tyre can cause that to happen - example.

That happened to me when I wore a set of brake blocks out on a steep descent. I had no option but to carry on braking and I destroyed a wheel rim.

Riding a lot in the winter with the grinding effect of grit can wear rims out more quickly than usual.

120 PSI is probably within the limits of your rims, but some are not rated that high.

OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

The rims are like new, I only use my front brake and the damage is on the back wheel, but it is an old wheel, to be honest they are the spare set from my best bike. I will get a new rim fitted and hope for the best!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My commute route is terrible ATM.
I did a check on the front wheel at the weekend and some of the spokes had worked loose with the pounding they had received on the potholes that sometimes you cannot avoid due to traffic as there are a load of mini potholes in a space about 6 feet across and maybe 30-40 foot long.
Spent a while retruing the wheel then checked the back one as well.

OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

I sold my Crosser (Trek X01) about a year ago because I did not use it, but maybe I should have kept it as it did everything that I now need really well.

ColinJ

The Eighth Man said:
The rims are like new, I only use my front brake and the damage is on the back wheel, but it is an old wheel, to be honest they are the spare set from my best bike. I will get a new rim fitted and hope for the best!!
Take a look at some of the comments about halfway down this page! (Search for the word disposable)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I will be back on my subway tonight for the night shift as it is a bit more bomb proof and given the frost given for the morning i want more rubber on the road at 5 am.
And if i had to have a bike stolen it would be the subway as it is older and more worn out .......

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH the roads are still shocking - one big pot hole dented my rear on my fixed about 7 weeks ago....(yes I use two brakes) but the rim was worn - had a hard life in 12 months.

My new rim (and tyre) took a massive hit a couple of weeks ago - instant snake bite, and a little (sub 1mm) outward flare on one side the rim (couldn't avoid it with a bus up me bum......).....

Oh and the MTB still has studs on.....haven't moved it for a couple of months..... might need it again.....

Top Bottom