Rollers or Turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears
I need something for cycle-exercising at home.
In the past I had a very old Turbo system which has pretty much expired. For a while I had an old bike bike permanently set-up on it.

But now in different circumstances am erring towards rollers. Easy to set-up, can use any of my bikes, doesn’t burn through rear tyres, a more realistic cycling experience.

What are peoples thoughts? Am drawn towards rollers, don’t need anything too fancy with loads of electronic schitt.

FF

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Balancing on rollers is an art. I kept falling off! My rollers came with a front wheel support. If you go for rollers, make sure you get one of those as well. It means you can exercise as opposed to learning to use the rollers.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Tarmac. Keep it real..

And my favourite joke on the subject courtesy of Viz about 30 years ago.

I've got both but use my turbo more as I usually do power based interval training and that's easier on the turbo. Virtual reality stuff is easier to follow on the turbo too. The turbo takes up less floor space in my tiny flat as well and is easier to set up for me (its direct drive) and being dd there's no tyre wear.

Adam4868

Guru
Rollers....if I have to be indoors.Had a turbo and I'd rather stick pins in my eyes ! If you've been on rollers for half a hour you know about it.
I only ever go about 10/15 miles on the rollers and I'm done for.

I used my turbo for the first time in about 18 months (I go to the gym and use the bikes there when it`s inclement) yesterday for about an hour. Today, I can barely walk! Why on earth would that happen. FWIW I did just over 600 miles on the road in March

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Turbo for me, I first used rollers in about 1970 and for many years after, once the turbo became available that was the end of rollers for me. Funny thinking about it I just had memories of roller racing in the eighties, forgotten all about that.

screenman

Legendary Member
Rollers....if I have to be indoors.Had a turbo and I'd rather stick pins in my eyes ! If you've been on rollers for half a hour you know about it.
I only ever go about 10/15 miles on the rollers and I'm done for.

What rollers have you got as I may invest again.

Top Bottom