Rollers or Turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
This is coming-up as my fave at the moment....

https://tacx.com/product/galaxia/

Post a video of the first few times you ride them please. I am suprised how many say rollers as I know a hell of a lot of people in this cycling game and none ride rollers, a lot have done like myself but all have switched, but what ever takes your fancy. I found the rolers made it harder to do times efforts, or watch tv etc, I could take a jersey off whilst riding them in my early days though.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Proto

Legendary Member
They don't .... Manly used to warm up on.

You can buy a small magnetic resistance unit for Minoura rollers, very similar to resistance units on mag turbo trainers. It clips on and off in seconds. Gives (from memory) 5 levels of resistance, and works very well.

http://www.minoura.jp/english/trainer/rollers/magunit.html

I'm no expert, but have been told that metal rollers give a much better ‘ride’ than plastic rollers. Something do with the smaller diameter? Also quieter, I think.

Last edited:
Picked up a 2nd hand set of Elite rollers last weekend. Have to say that i'm enjoying them much more than the turbo, so easy to just jump on the rollers, no wheel change etc and no faffing around with various apps to connect and dodgy wifi with slow streaming...

Mastering the rollers though, well i'm getting there. Did a 1hr session this evening and really enjoyed it:okay:

One thing that i learned is that i need to keep my tyre pressure a bit higher than normal to reduce the bounce on the rear wheel.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Picked up a 2nd hand set of Elite rollers last weekend. Have to say that i'm enjoying them much more than the turbo, so easy to just jump on the rollers, no wheel change etc and no faffing around with various apps to connect and dodgy wifi with slow streaming...

Mastering the rollers though, well i'm getting there. Did a 1hr session this evening and really enjoyed it:okay:

One thing that i learned is that i need to keep my tyre pressure a bit higher than normal to reduce the bounce on the rear wheel.

1 hour! Can barely endure 30 mins!!

I’ve been riding on the rollers for a few weeks now and much prefer them to a turbo. I’m already seeing improvements in my pedal stroke and cadence when out on the road.

I think the biggest problem with rollers is that they have virtually no inertia, so when you stop peddling they come to a stop almost immediately. This makes it almost impossible to stop peddling, stand in the pedals and adjust your shorts/undercarriage etc. Consequently, I find I’m limited to one hour sessions as I get too uncomfortable after that due to remaining seated in the same position for so long.

There are rollers that overcome this by having an internal inertia wheel built into the rear roller. They’re made in America by TruTrainer but are very expensive and don’t seem to be available at all in this country. Which is a shame as I’d certainly be tempted by a set. Apparently, they’re the closest thing you can get to riding on the road, but on a trainer.

Yes agree about doing anything whilst on the rollers, so far it's taking me some time to feel comfortable to do even the basics but i'm certain that with time i'll be more stable on them. I often closed my eyes when on the turbo, yesterday i tried it on the rollers :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: at least my balancing skills are improving:laugh:

Horses for courses I am a turbo only person as I had a bad motorcycle accident 15 years ago and cant balance on rollers or ride no handed on a normal bike. ( apparently no real physical reason probably just in my head)
My daughter used to race at a high level and rollers were always used mainly just for warm ups before races. Turbo for "proper" training . She rang me a couple of weeks ago to ask for them out of my loft after she has not used them for 3 years as she is now training for iron man and prefers them for endurance type training .
I like my elite axion turbo as it can simulate climbing Dam walls ( supposed to be simulate a 10%) and cant imagine spinning at the same resistance for over a hour, my daughter however finds it preferable.
Have both as a change might keep you more interested in training.

Top Bottom