Rollers or Turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tried with higher tyre pressure and it was certainly better, less bounce.

Was a rainy Sunday so what else could i do...

So far as i'm still getting used them i'v been riding with hard flat bottomed shoes "just in case" and half way through Sundays' session i switched to by cycling shoes and i have to say that it was easier to balance, i assume as i must make a certain amount of balance correction through my feet which is being lessened when not being clipped in. The 2nd half of the session was much more comfortable.

houblon

Just got my first set of rollers from PlanetX. They arrived at the same time as the snow, bargain! I felt like I was learning to ride a bike again, waiting for Dad to let go of the seatpin. Set up in a narrow corridor, relying less on elbows and more on balancing with the saddle as I get used to it.

Much more fun than a turbo. I could ride at 200W 100RPM in the little ring so hopefully when I'm a bit more confident I can waste more power in the big ring. And when I'm *really* confident I'll be able to take a drink without stopping.

mattobrien

Guru
I have Cycleops (now Saris) aluminium rollers and use the, quite a bit for training. I bought some rare earth magnets and made a resistance using by attaching them to a metal bar bolted near the rear roller. They enough resistance to about 450/500w before it gets silly.

For me it’s just a bit more like riding a bike and uses more muscles than the turbo.I still use the turbo for some sessions, high power sprints or longer z2 rides etc, the it’s nice to have the choice. My turbo is a Neo 2T.

houblon

I've done a few sessions now and it's making me appreciate time on the road if nothing else.

One thing though - I get a terribly sore arse after about an hour of being unable to get out of the saddle, any top tips?

CXRAndy

Guru
I've done a few sessions now and it's making me appreciate time on the road if nothing else.

One thing though - I get a terribly sore arse after about an hour of being unable to get out of the saddle, any top tips?

You should have bought a Turbo and rocker board :whistle:

20190430_093418.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just for clarification, it's tricky to ride out of the saddle unless you pedal very smoothly because the bike is trying to jump off the front of the rollers with every pedal stroke.

houblon

Just for clarification, it's tricky to ride out of the saddle unless you pedal very smoothly because the bike is trying to jump off the front of the rollers with every pedal stroke.

Yes, I can see (feel) that. I think I'm quite a smooth pedaller already, but to be that good will take some work...

CXRAndy

Guru
A fancy-arsed turbo like that is way beyond my means, but I do have a plain ole Tackx (and from now on, that's the correct spelling, no matter what the manufacturer says ^_^) and that looks like a neat way to make it a bit more humane...is it something you bought, or built?

I built it, material costs £250, a weekends work. 18mm phenolic trailer board, extremely water/sweat resistant :okay:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@CXRAndy I am building 3 Rockers myself - fed up with a numb bum after 90 minutes. Unfortunately I told a few friends about my plans so have to make them one each as well.

20210213_141259047_iOS.jpg

Rode a couple of hours at the weekend with the first one 90% complete, my balls are too hard ^_^. It is a weird sensation as I cannot help lean into corners in Zwift. I thought it would only take a couple of hours to knock up, but the first one has taken way longer. Cost about £100 each, excluding a few extra tools/toys I needed to purchase.

CXRAndy

Guru
@CXRAndy I am building 3 Rockers myself - fed up with a numb bum after 90 minutes. Unfortunately I told a few friends about my plans so have to make them one each as well.

View attachment 574219

Rode a couple of hours at the weekend with the first one 90% complete, my balls are too hard ^_^. It is a weird sensation as I cannot help lean into corners in Zwift. I thought it would only take a couple of hours to knock up, but the first one has taken way longer. Cost about £100 each, excluding a few extra tools/toys I needed to purchase.

How many 'balls'are you using? I run 3 each side, but can facilitate 5 Slazenger balls😁

Its amazing how many friends you have, when they realise you have practical skills:laugh:

The most expensive piece was my phenolic board. I could've shave over £100 off my costs by using plain 18mm ply.

I went with phenolic trailer board because its non slippy when wet. Ive ridden 5 hours on Zwift, i didn't feel too bad and didn't suffer from arse issues

houblon

How many 'balls'are you using? I run 3 each side, but can facilitate 5 Slazenger balls😁

Its amazing how many friends you have, when they realise you have practical skills:laugh:

The most expensive piece was my phenolic board. I could've shave over £100 off my costs by using plain 18mm ply.

I went with phenolic trailer board because its non slippy when wet. Ive ridden 5 hours on Zwift, i didn't feel too bad and didn't suffer from arse issues

Can I be your friend too? ^_^

How's it done, I'm guessing tennis balls are featured somewhere but how does it all hold together?

Top Bottom