Roubaix/Secteur sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
For the last 4 years I've been riding a Specialized Sirrus with a 57cm frame. I had test rides today on 56 and 58 Secteurs, but neither felt just right. The 56 made me feel rather hunched with the bars too low, but with the 58 it felt rather stretched riding on the hoods. However, this may all just be down to me being used to flat bars.
What in theory should be the right size for me? I'm 6' 0".

bad boy

Über Member
I was looking at the secteur and believe they say in the Spez Book for that model at your height its a 58 frame !!.

Im 6'2" and book size for me is 58 also

Norm

Mr Celine said:
... but with the 58 it felt rather stretched riding on the hoods.
Might be too obvious but did you check the saddle position? How was the saddle to pedal relationship? Was the saddle at the back of it's adjustment?

Shorter stems are also available.

peterdowning

Veteran
According to the Specialized bike size guide on their website, you on the cusp of 56cm and 58cm. Like you I am 6ft. I have a 56cm S-Works Roubaix and it fits me perfectly.

Or you could follow their advice from a FAQ on the Specialized website:-

"How do I know the frame size I need? how I compare sizes: M, L, with inches: 18", 19" etc.?

Answer
The best way to figure out what frame size that you need is to go to a specialized dealer, and have an experienced shop professional work with you.

You need to sit on a few bikes, ride a few, compare our bikes with what you currently might be riding, and if you think your current model is too big/too small. And factor in your riding style & experience.

I have always believed that the most important measurement is not M/L, or even 18/19. The crucial number is how "long" the bike is, and that is the horizontal length of the bike from the center of the head tube to the center of the seatpost.

You can get that info from your current bike, and compare it to the specs we post online in the Bike geometry. Also factor in the length of your stem as well, as that affects the "length" of your bike. Being on a bike that is too long or too short sucks. But if it is just right, it is a wonderful thing, a bike that your body is comfortable & centered on will be stable as well as agile.

good luck!"

redjedi

Über Member
If you've got one near you, go to a Speciallzed Concept store and get the fitting. It costs about £120 but I believe you'll get that back if you buy the bike from them.

I had the fitting done to my Bianchi, and they got rid of all the little aches I would get on long rides. The worst being my knees. They only made minor changes but it made a world of difference.

I went to the store in Ruislip and got very good service.

I'm also 6ft and ideally need a 58. I went for the 59 Bianchi 1885 to have the bars a little higher, but needed a shorter stem (90mm).

You might find a different model Spec will have a more suitable geometry.

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
Thanks for the replies.
The 56 felt right for reach to start with, but I had the saddle too low. Once that was at the right height, the bars felt too low and my neck was going to get stiff looking up at the road.

The saddle was in the centre of its fore/aft adjustment on the 58. The stem on the 58 is longer than on the 56, so perhaps the answer is a 58 with a shorter stem.

jimboalee

1/ Crank length determines the Maximum and Minimum angles your knee makes when you pedal. It is dependent on leg length.

2/ Seat height above the B/B determines the Maximum knee angle.

3/ Seat fore/aft determines the vertical position of your knee above the pedal spindle at foremost pedal position.

4/ Your Torso length and arm length determine the Reach.

5/ Your elbow angle, shoulder angle and torso angle determine the handlebar height.

6/ Wrist angle determines the position of the brake hoods on the bars and the up-tilt of the bars' drops section.

7/ Get it done properly.

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
Redjedi, my particular cloud is hovering over the Borders and does not stretch as far as a concept store.
I spoke to the boss at the LBS on the phone today (he wasn't in yesterday) and have arranged a further test. He did think that from the height I had the saddles it looks like it should be the 58, but we'll try different stem lengths, saddle positions etc on both sizes.

carrock

roubaix

I am 5 ft 11, 34" inside leg and have a 58 roubaix with a shorter stem- perfect!!

difference between 56 and 58 is only 15mm top tube length in any case

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
I went back to the LBS and had a shot on the 58 Secteur with a shorter stem, and it did make a huge difference, so I've taken the plunge and ordered a Roubaix.:biggrin:

The LBS is surrounded by cobbled streets and the Secteur was noticeably more comfortable on them than my Sirrus, which is also alu frame with carbon forks but has bigger tyres.:becool:

Can't wait to get on the Roubaix.....:wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
nice one Mr Celine you wont regret it. Love both my Roubaix's.
Make sure you post up some pics when you get it.

Top Bottom