Rough looking tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm not a 'car person' but I think this is well and truly headed for a disastrous end. Pams Zaffira.
What say the cyclechat motor heads?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Looks like an MOT failure point. It's potentially dangerous.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Probably. The 2 front tyres have been replaced but the rears have been there since she bought it a few months ago. The one on the other side looks OK for now but I'll moan at her to get that changed too soon.
I only noticed it when I washed it the other day. :thumbsdown:
I've twisted her arm into letting me pay to get it changed today. She does a fair bit of motorway driving and the thought of that thing going at 70 scares the crap out of me.

screenman

Legendary Member
Probably. The 2 front tyres have been replaced but the rears have been there since she bought it a few months ago. The one on the other side looks OK for now but I'll moan at her to get that changed too soon.
I only noticed it when I washed it the other day. :thumbsdown:
I've twisted her arm into letting me pay to get it changed today. She does a fair bit of motorway driving and the thought of that thing going at 70 scares the crap out of me.

I am going to be hard here and say if she drives any where with that tyre on she deserves nicking, that is very dangerous as for motorway speeds I hope you are kidding. I am suprised you have not been jumped on by every motorist hater on here. Check the age of the other tyres. My wife's name is Pam as well but she would not be driving that car.

Pioneer

Regular
I second what you have said and I have 40 motoring experience. The only thing for that tyre is the skip TODAY not tomorrow but now.
That is dangerous and I wouldn’t let anyone I like drive a car with a tyre like that ( not to mention my wife)

gbb

Legendary Member
I had similar looking tyres on a camping trailer many years ago...i thought at the time, 'well im not going fast, its just a trailer'...which was fine until it shredded itself PDQ on the A30 with much smoke, debris and a weaving trailer.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A good reason for always fitting new tyres to the rear and switching one of those to the front. On a low mileage car the back tyres can have a legal tread depth for well over fifteen years but will be seriously degraded by UV rays from the sun and will delaminate.

screenman

Legendary Member
At the tyre fitters now. Looks like we'll survive the trip home after all. :heat:

Please to hear that, did you know insurers can be difficult if you have an accident and the vehicle has not been maintained correctly. Ask the fitter how old the tyre is, it is stamped on the side.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Didn't see that till just now.
He did say that the tyre was legal :eek: I'm guessing he was referring to its tread depth. The other tyre wasn't legal as the tread was bare on the inside edge. Both have been replaced.
I'm just glad I noticed it when I did.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Didn't see that till just now.
He did say that the tyre was legal :eek: I'm guessing he was referring to its tread depth. The other tyre wasn't legal as the tread was bare on the inside edge. Both have been replaced.
I'm just glad I noticed it when I did.

Good stuff. I was shocked when 3 of 4 of my tyres failed MOT at 4 years old - cracks on the inside tyre wall - just one crack per tyre, but it failed. Not had tyres perish that fast before, and they had 5mm of tread.

Top Bottom