Roundabouts - When not turning left

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you don't feel confident riding and/or braking with one hand there, perhaps more cycling practice in a park?

I would take the right lane I think, or alternatively the left lane whilst signalling right. When taking the left lane I'd be at the 2/3rds in position, if you're just slightly left of half way that's like leaving the door open. Lots of looking round at drivers too.

gouldina

BentMikey said:
If you don't feel confident riding and/or braking with one hand there, perhaps more cycling practice in a park?

That's a bit patronising if you don't mind me saying so. I've been commuting daily on a bicycle since 1990 and I'd rather have both brakes in a situation like that thanks.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As you describe it, and every roundabout is different, if the entry lane splits in two and I want to go straight on I'd be claiming that offside lane. Probably 10's of metres before the split, I'd be riding in the center of the single lane before, then look over shoulder, signal if needed for the lane change, take the the centrer of the right hand lane as is starts, then stay in the middle of that lane as I enter the roundabout. look over shoulder as I pass 1st exit, signal if needed for my exit into 2nd exit, life saver just in case a car has entered roundabout behind me and is coming up my inside, leave roundabout in center of lane I'm exiting into.

don't risk your safety by reliance on other road users assumptions about your intentions; claim your speed, claim your space.

Fluffy said:
To me that left hand lane looks like left turn only

Being pedantic, there is no such thing as a "left turn only" lane on a roundabout for cyclists and horses.

Although I've never been brave enough to try the HC-permitted right turn by skirting the perimiter of a RAB with right arm outstretched hoping that drivers know their highway code (insert sarcastic 'lol')

OP
OP
N

NigC

BentMikey said:

I would take the right lane I think, or alternatively the left lane whilst signalling right. When taking the left lane I'd be at the 2/3rds in position, if you're just slightly left of half way that's like leaving the door open. Lots of looking round at drivers too.

It's not so much the bike control, it's the combination of a tricky junction (thanks to prior expreiences), having to slow/stop and looking over my shoulder that makes doing it all one-handed a worrying proposition. As a kid, I'd happily cycle without any hands and confortably control the bike (until a nice policeman corrected me!).

I think I do take 2/3rds position in the left lane by default. Maybe it's just those days when I only do 1/2 that the problems occur.

Davidc

Guru
I think most of us who use roads meet this and it's one of the most difficult manoeuvres. There are two that I regularly have to use, where like you I have no alternative.

Like others above I try to fully occupy the right hand lane on approach, then get back across to the left for the exit. I have to admit to having chickened out lots of times and have had to go round again or get across late and walk back on the verge. I'm assertive and far from timid, but I'm not suicidal and it's the only safe response to some of the driving.

I saw a survey result last year which had found that nearly 3/4 of drivers dislike roundabouts and find them intimidating, so we're possibly not alone, and I have several motorcycling friends who hate them too.

Eye contact when possible seems to help, and I find it worse in daylight if I've forgotten to put my back light on (that's not intended to start a debate on daytime lighting, just an observation). Good signalling is also a must, but difficult while navigating a roundabout - and one of mine now includes potholes just to liven it up.

Be careful and avoid getting trapped between the two lanes - I did once and I'd class it as a near death experience!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
gouldina said:
That's a bit patronising if you don't mind me saying so. I've been commuting daily on a bicycle since 1990 and I'd rather have both brakes in a situation like that thanks.

It wasn't aimed at you, and it wasn't meant to be patronising. Sorry! :smile:

I'm just going by the comments about instability - that junction doesn't look to be particularly challenging from a bike control point of view, and given the OP's traffic concerns, signalling ad traffic control seems to need more priority.

Of course I'm also slightly biased as it's extremely easy to ride a recumbent one-handed, including braking. Just as easy as riding two-handed. This is very useful in complex traffic situations as it's much easier to affect drivers around you with hand signals. It is a little more difficult on my drop-barred upright, but still not enough to matter.

OP
OP
N

NigC

Thanks for all the input guys :laugh:

I think what I shall try and do next time is signal a little way before the approach so that I can move across and take the right lane. Once there, I'll take enough to block my right side (I'm a pretty wide load anyway :smile::girl:). Then once I've passed the left exit, make sure I'm clear on my left and move over for my exit.

Usually it's not a problem because of light traffic at that time, but it's the odd days when things are different when problems occur. Hopefully this will reduce those probelms :smile:

Norm

On that one, I would definitely be looking at a strong primary before the lane splits and entering the roundabout in the right hand lane. The right turn there is "only" to Mercedes World so probably isn't too busy, although I don't know what the traffic is like there in the mornings, as I only do that area at weekends.

gouldina

BentMikey said:
It wasn't aimed at you, and it wasn't meant to be patronising. Sorry! :smile:

I'm just going by the comments about instability - that junction doesn't look to be particularly challenging from a bike control point of view, and given the OP's traffic concerns, signalling ad traffic control seems to need more priority.

Of course I'm also slightly biased as it's extremely easy to ride a recumbent one-handed, including braking. Just as easy as riding two-handed. This is very useful in complex traffic situations as it's much easier to affect drivers around you with hand signals. It is a little more difficult on my drop-barred upright, but still not enough to matter.

I know it wasn't aimed at me. It's not the balancing I think is the issue. It's the fact that you'll be doing these three things simultaneously:

1) looking round a lot
2) while in a line of traffic which is liable to stop suddenly
3) with only one useable brake.

If you take these together, you might suddenly look back to find that the car in front has stopped, you're close to it and only have one hand to brake. That's the scenario that would worry me. You could leave a big gap but you know it would be filled pretty sharpish. I guess a series of quick indicates might be the answer. It's a tricky one allright.

OP
OP
N

NigC

Norm said:
On that one, I would definitely be looking at a strong primary before the lane splits and entering the roundabout in the right hand lane. The right turn there is "only" to Mercedes World so probably isn't too busy, although I don't know what the traffic is like there in the mornings, as I only do that area at weekends.

If I was getting to work for 9:00, it would be very busy, but starting at 7:30 it's not usually too bad. Although the right lane is used a lot for traffic going straight on, so it's never a quiet lane at the best of times.

The best time is when I (very occassionally) start at 6:30 - the barriers are down, completely preventing the cut-through that is the cause of all my problems, and I can just squeeze through the barriers (they don't meet very well when down :smile:) and take the roundabout anyway I like :girl:

potsy

Rambler
I have slightly changed my commute to avoid as many RAB's as I can,only doing them when traffic is light.This means 1/2 mile extra cycling but makes me feel much safer.
I have one I turn right at,and cars will pass either side if you don't take the exact middle of the lane.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
that junction doesn't look to be particularly challenging from a bike control point of view, and given the OP's traffic concerns, signalling ad traffic control seems to need more priority.

From what I can see (and I know the rb myself)..if someone cant ride one handed around that particular roundabout, they need to question whether they have sufficient skill or confidence to ride on the road at all.

but

I dont think that is the issue....NigC's question seems to be more about what type of signal/position to use, as apposed not being able to signal, lets not get distracted and start another signal/no signal debate.

NigC, I agree the RB looks odd in that I cant actually see a "straight on " option and maybe other vehicles get equally confused. The fact that you are discussing this suggests yoiu have already put in some thought and tried a few things.

Personally I would disregard the HC ad take a position that ensures your saftey and makes it clear to all what your intentions are...YOU ARE NOT TURNING LEFT, whethet you then go straight on is of no consequence as most drivers will have filtered left and avoided you by then.

good luck

Norm

NigC said:
Although the right lane is used a lot for traffic going straight on, so it's never a quiet lane at the best of times.
That would be another reason to use the right hand lane. If you act like a vehicle, you usually get treated as one.

It's when acting like a bike, gutter hugging, filtering between cars and pavements or keeping in the left hand lane, that I had the most problems.

OP
OP
N

NigC

potsy said:
I have slightly changed my commute to avoid as many RAB's as I can,only doing them when traffic is light.This means 1/2 mile extra cycling but makes me feel much safer.
I have one I turn right at,and cars will pass either side if you don't take the exact middle of the lane.

I hate roundabouts too and have changed my route to avoid a couple. The only other significant one on my route is here.

It's actually got the potential to be much more dangerous as it's on a much busier road and I have to turn right.

But this one is much easier to negotiate as the approach is downhill and I can often match the speed of the traffic, making it very easy to pull to the right lane (obviously checking before and indicating). Also, the traffic from the right very rarely turns right, making it a simple job to negotiate. The only worry is opposing traffic not seeing me, but there's not much I can do about that apart from being prepared to hit the anchors - so far it's never happened (touches lots of wood!) :smile:

Top Bottom